Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
Unique new volunteer opportunity
What is HELP?
The HELP Program at CPMC's Pacific Campus, seeks to decrease confusion and subsequent loss of independence in older patients in an acute care setting. We are actively recruiting volunteers to participate in the expansion of the HELP program.
Upcoming training sessions: March 2017
The next Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP) training sessions will be held in March, 2017. It will be an 8 hour day of training which you must attend in order to become a HELP volunteer.
To set up an interview to become a volunteer, contact Shannon Cotter by February 2017 at 415-600-3916, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking volunteers who:
- Have an interest in caring for older adult patients.
- Are responsible, mature, caring and respectful of older adults.
- Can help re-orient patients to their settings with social visits/conversation.
- Will provide cognitive stimulation to patients’ based on specialized training.
- Will feed patients under supervision. Will assist patients with their dietary needs.
- Can guide range-of motion exercises and encourage appropriate ambulation.
HELP volunteer requirements:
- Make a minimum of one year commitment to the program.
- Commit to a four hour shift per week for for at least one year.
- Undergo specialized training, including 16 hours of classroom instruction and 16 hours of precepted training.
- Successfully complete competency-based checklists.
- While bi-lingual is an asset, all applicants must be proficient in English.
HELP volunteer contact:
For more information on the HELP program and how you can participate, please contact:
CPMC Volunteer Services
To make a gift to HELP:
The mortality rate for patients suffering from hospital-induced delirium is an astounding 65 percent. By making a gift to HELP, you can support a program that trains volunteers to keep elderly patients alert and increases their functional independence. Learn more about giving to CPMC's Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP).
Give now online to CPMC. Thank you.
Opens new window