Current Volunteer Opportunities
You are the soul of the medical center
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
The volunteer programs at California Pacific Medical Center offer a wide array of opportunities at various locations on weekdays, weekends and evenings. We especially need help during the day on weekdays. Here is a partial list of volunteer opportunities in the areas of Patient Services, Hospitality, Administrative & Clerical Services, and Knitting & Crocheting Projects
* Indicates a volunteer opportunity that requires specialized training and/or has age requirement of at least 18 years old.
Provide supportive company to patients. Create a warm and supportive atmosphere for patients and their families and assist therapists and staff with creative activities.
- Alzheimer’s Residence and Adult Day Care Services (California Campus)
- Ambulatory Surgery Unit - Work in a busy clinical unit by assisting nurses preparing patients for surgery and post-surgery discharge (All Campuses)
- Baby Photos* - Complement photographer's schedule for taking a newborn's very first photo! (St. Luke's Campus)
- Coming Home Hospice Residence/Palliative Care* - Play a supportive role by providing care to patients and families at the end of life. (California, Davies, St. Luke's Campuses)
- Dietary Department - Have meaningful one-on-one interaction with patients through helping with menu selections. Provide support to nutritional staff. (California, Davies and Pacific Campuses)
- Elder Care* - Hospitalized Elder Life Program (HELP) seeks to decrease confusion and subsequent loss of independence in older patients in an acute care setting.
- Emergency Department* - Be part of the exciting ED team by assisting staff with non-clinical duties in the waiting room and patient treatment area: make gurneys, restock supply carts, comfort families, provide patient advocacy, etc. (Davies, Pacific and St. Luke's Campuses)
- Manicurist - Make a special difference in a patient's day by giving the glamorous touch of a manicure. (All Campuses)
- Nuclear Medicine* - Learn about cutting-edge medical imaging technology through greeting and escorting patients and assisting with film management. Assist technologists and physicians during tests. (Pacific Campus)
- Nursing Units* - Help clinical staff and patients with non-medical needs: visiting, reading, creating charts, running errands, writing letters. Skilled Nursing, Maternity, Cardiac Intensive Care, Intensive Care Unit, Medical Surgical Unit, Pediatrics, etc. (All Campuses)
- Radiology - Learn about cutting-edge medical imaging technology through greeting and escorting patients and assisting them with film management. Assist technologists and staff with administrative tasks for tests. (All Campuses)
- Recreational Therapy - Interact with patients through fun and creative projects! Assist recreational therapists with art projects, reading, music, games and other activities for patients of the skilled nursing units, medical/surgical units, and inpatient rehabilitation unit. (California, Davies and St. Luke's Campuses)
- Rehabilitation Therapy - Physical and Occupational Therapy: Learn about rehabilitation by observing patient. (All Campuses)
- Soothing Sounds - Volunteers share their musical talent to foster a soothing and calming environment for patients, family and staff. (Davies, Pacific and St. Luke's Campuses)
- Subacute Long-term Care Unit (St. Luke's Campus)
- Volunteers Interacting with Patients (VIP Program) Skilled Nursing Unit (Davies and California Campuses)
Create a warm and hospitable environment for our visitors.
- Breast Health Center – Welcome and help patients feel at ease. Escort patients and help them prepare for their procedures. (California Campus)
- Café – Welcome and seat customers in our comfortable café. Work with a great team by taking orders and serving meals. Volunteers receive a delicious free meal during their shift. All tips made in the café are used to fund the Galileo Health Academy summer interns. This program provides opportunities for underserved youth to explore careers in healthcare. (Pacific Campus)
- Emergency Department Greeter* - Greet people entering the ED, give helpful information and oversee waiting room area. (Pacific and St. Luke’s Campuses)
- Gift Shops – Assist customers with sales and be a cashier in our attractive gift shop. Deliver gifts to patients. (All Campuses)
- Hospice Receptionist/Kitchen Helper – Meet and greet family members and answer phones, or work in the kitchen and assist staff with food preparation and clean up. (Coming Home Hospice)
- Hospitality Escort – Personally escort patients and family members to various areas of the hospital. (All Campuses)
- Information Desk – Direct patients and visitors to locations throughout medical center. Excellent communication and problem-solving skills, patience, and acceptance of diversity are required. (All Campuses)
- St. Luke’s Campus Information-Escort Desk – Direct patients and visitors to locations throughout medical center. Escort medically stable patients via wheelchair to locations within the medical center. Excellent communication and problem-solving skills, patience, and acceptance of diversity are required.
- Liver Transplant Escort – Make a meaningful difference by giving a hospital tour and important information about the medical center to new prospective transplant patients and family members. Early morning shift only. (Pacific Campus)
- Surgical Waiting Room – Serve as an important liaison between surgery and waiting families. (California Campus)
- Women's Health Resource Center – Teach internet skills to women over the age 60, or assist women undergoing cancer treatment with manicures and make-up “makeovers.” (California Campus)
Administrative and Clerical
Provide important support to the hospital by reducing the administrative workload while learning valuable skills. A variety of interesting departments and offices offer diverse tasks ranging from mailing and filing projects to complex computer data entry. (All campuses)
Knitting and Crocheting Projects
Love to knit or crochet? Volunteers are needed to knit or crochet baby caps and blankets for newborns and children at CPMC's California Campus and St. Luke’s Campus. All skill levels welcome!
Because life is precious, we encourage giving to life and a lifetime of giving.
Opens new window
Consider making an online donation today to California Pacific Medical Center.Opens new window For more information on making a gift, contact CPMC Foundation Opens new window. Thank You.