Regional Referral Program and
Assisting patients, doctors and health plans meet their needs in a high-quality environment. 888-637-2762.
What We Do
Our Regional Referral Program and Transfer Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 888-637-2762.
The Regional Referral Program has seven primary functions:
- Assist in patient transfers from other hospitals to CPMC
- Answer general public calls for physician referral and services offered at CPMC
- Process referrals to CPMC-based specialists
- Monitor external medical transport services assisting physicians, patients, and third party payers with these resources
- Network development of specialty services
- Support and liaison to Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation specialty services outreach clinics throughout Northern California and Nevada
- Liaison to San Francisco Primary Care physicians
Back to top
Transfer a Patient
The Transfer Center facilitates the process of transferring patients and coordinates or arranges to provide the medically necessary transport services and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 888-637-2762. For pediatric transport, call 866-PEDS-911.
Specially trained nurses collect patient information and then contact a California Pacific Medical Center specialty physician, bed control nurse, admitting and finance department staffs, case managers and appropriate clinical staff.
The Transfer Center will facilitate the process, and also coordinate and/or arrange to meet the medically necessary transport services for the patient.
Please have the following information available when requesting transfer:
- Patient’s name, address, telephone number, date of birth
- Diagnosis and care related issues
- Referring physician and name of facility/hospital
- Admitting physician (if known)
- Patient’s present location
- Patient’s mode of arrival and transport company if applicable, and estimated arrival time
- Whether transport assistance is required
- Insurance information
The Admitting Department will be notified of your patient’s pending admission. Parents/responsible parties will be asked to come to Admitting to sign required admission documents.
Back to top
Refer a Patient
Normal hours of operation for the Regional Referral Center are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Referrals to specialty physicians may be requested by telephone 888-637-2762 or by fax (415-600-2955). Please have the following information available when requesting physician referrals or consultations:
1. Name of referring medical group, health plan and product type (HMO, PPO, POS)
2. Referral Authorization form, which should include:
- Authorization number
- Patient name, address, telephone number, date of birth (including the insured's name and SSN if patient is a minor)
- Diagnosis/ICD-9 code
- CPT code(s)
- Specialty requested
- Reason for referral
- Referring physician or PCP's name, address, phone and fax
To further expedite the referral process, you can fax the patient referral form to 415-600-2955 (24 hours/day).
4. Download a PDF of the referral form.
5. Online patient referral is also available. Physicians interested in this tool may contact us for information and to obtain a token. Please call 888-637-2762.
NOTE: If you already have a Sutter user name and password, you may proceed directly to online referral.
Once the physician visit or hospital admission has been scheduled, our Specialty Referral Coordinators will complete the process of coordinating the referral for you. The specialist will communicate directly with you, keeping you apprised of the patient’s condition, treatment and outcome.
Our Specialty Referral Coordinators are also able to assist you with contracting issues; they can address questions regarding contracts in place, specialty physician carve-out rates and physician services on a case-by-case basis.
Back to top
Maternal, Neonatal and Pediatric Transport Services
California Pacific Medical Center’s Women & Children's Transport Team provides safe, timely, high-quality care during the transport of all neonatal and pediatric patients, 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, regardless of diagnosis, race, ethnicity or financial background.
Care is provided by specially trained pediatric and neonatal nurses, paramedics, EMTs, neonatal nurse practitioners and physicians, based on a patient’s acuity and needs. Care is compassionate, developmentally appropriate, professional and based on the principles of family-centered care. The needs of the family are considered and met with respect, understanding and support.
The decision regarding mode of transport (helicopter, fixed-wing aircraft or ambulance) is collaborative based on the acuity of the patient, weather conditions and other factors. Each transport is reviewed for quality.
The scope of care provided includes stabilization and transport of critically ill or injured patients based on current research and practices. Our team maintains contact with the accepting physician at California Pacific throughout the transport. This provides the opportunity to relay pertinent patient information to California Pacific so the receiving unit is prepared for the patient. In addition, the transport team can provide conventional ventilation, nitric oxide and multi-system support.
Moreover, the Transport Program maintains active involvement in formal and informal educational opportunities for referral hospital staff, transport physicians and nurses, accepting physicians, residents and independent transport programs.
Back to top
CPMC's doctors work in San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo and because of their expertise, they draw patients from the entire Bay area, Northern California and throughout the world!
If you are searching for a doctor - a primary care doctor or a specialist - call the Patient Referral Center at 888-637-2762, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Patient Referral Center specialists can also provide you with information regarding CPMC's nationally known clinical services and programs.