Performing Kegel Exercises
- Kegel exercises should be done three or four times a day.
- Begin by squeezing your pelvic floor muscles to the slow count of four. Then relax these muscles completely to the slow count of four. This four-second contraction and four-second relaxation make one set.
- Complete 10 sets during each of your daily exercise sessions.
- In a few weeks you should be able to increase your muscle contraction time and number of daily sets. Your goal should be to hold each contraction for 10 seconds and to relax for 10 seconds, 25 to 30 times per set, four times per day.
- In order to improve or maintain bladder control, kegel exercises must be done on a regular basis for the rest of your life.
- It is helpful to perform kegel exercises before coughing, sneezing, laughing or lifting heavy objects.