Akil Palanisamy, MD
Akil Palanisamy, MD is board-certified in family medicine, and is a skilled integrative medicine physician who sees adults and teens in our San Francisco office. He blends his western medical training with effective holistic approaches including functional medicine and Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India.
Dr. Palanisamy completed his premedical training at Harvard University, received his medical degree from the University of California, San Francisco and completed his residency at Stanford University. He also completed a Fellowship in Integrative Medicine with Dr. Andrew Weil at the University of Arizona, and is certified by the Center for Mind-Body Medicine at Georgetown University.
Dr. Palanisamy's thirst for knowledge and longstanding yoga practice influenced his decision to become a physician and learn about holistic approaches. In 1999 he studied at Arya Vaidya Ayurvedic Institute in Southern India; by 2002, he started an advanced clinical internship with the renowned Ayurvedic doctor L. Mahadevan, MD at Sarada Ayurvedic Hospital in Kanyakumari, India.
Experience has convinced Dr. Palanisamy that the mind-body-spirit connection is integral to health and healing. He is a skilled diagnostician and works in partnership with his patients to develop personalized and comprehensive treatment plans that incorporate nutritional supplements, herbs, massage and bodywork, and mind-body techniques.
Dr. Palanisamy is dedicated to serving the needs of patients and the community, and advancing the practice of medicine. He brings compassion and insight, along with in-depth knowledge and experience, to his evidenced-based integrative medicine practice, successfully treating a wide variety of serious, chronic health conditions including:
- Digestive issues including irritable bowel, food and gluten sensitivities and allergies, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, and intestinal yeast/Candida
- Autoimmune conditions including hypo/hyper-thyroid, inflammatory bowel, diabetes, and celiac disease
- Men’s health such as hormonal issues and sexual dysfunction
- Women’s health including breast cancer support
- Psycho-spiritual health such as anxiety, depression, insomnia, and coping with life transitions
- Stress-related issues including fatigue, neck/back/shoulder pain, poor concentration or memory, frequent colds, constant worry, and nervous habits
Services offered at IHH San Francisco:
IHH San Francisco Clinic
2300 California Street (entrance on Webster)
SF, CA 94115
Google map for SF ClinicOpens new window
"It's the first time I have been treated for mixed symptoms as a whole organism."
"Excellent listener, talented diagnostician, compassionate, generous with time, immediately put me at ease."