In 1984 became the nation’s first heart transplant service in a private institution, and the 15th heart transplant program in the nation overall.
- One of the first programs to qualify as a Medicare heart transplant center.
- From 1980 through 1999 performed pioneering research in development of the Thoratec Ventricular Assist Device.
- In 1984 became one of the first centers to successfully transplant a patient supported on a ventricular assist device while waiting for a donor heart.
- In 2004 became the first Heart Hope Center for destination therapy in Northern California.
- Investigative site for pivotal trial for HeartMate II device.