Vascular Disease - Symptoms and Treatment
Peripheral Vascular Disease refers to diseases of blood vessels outside the heart and brain. It's often a narrowing of vessels that carry blood to the legs, arms, stomach or kidneys. There are two types of these circulation disorders:
- Functional peripheral vascular diseases don't have an organic cause. They don't involve defects in blood vessels' structure. They're usually short-term effects related to "spasm" that may come and go. Raynaud's disease is an example. It can be triggered by cold temperatures, emotional stress, working with vibrating machinery or smoking.
- Organic peripheral vascular diseases are caused by structural changes in the blood vessels, such as inflammation and tissue damage. Peripheral artery disease is an example. It's caused by fatty buildups in arteries that block normal blood flow.
California Pacific Medical Center’s Vascular Institute
California Pacific Medical Center’s Vascular Institute offers a wide variety of services and specialties to provide your patients with excellent care for these and other serious vascular issues, including:
- Lower extremity angiography with angioplasty, stenting, stent grafting, atherectomy, laser, cryoplasty and every possible endovascular treatment modality
- Traditional open and endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms, thoracic aortic aneurysms, dissections and penetrating ulcers
- Carotid endarterectomy and carotid stenting
- Renal artery stenting
- Visceral artery stenting
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosytemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Right and left heart catheterization with interventions.
California Pacific Medical Center’s Vascular Institute promotes interaction and cooperation amongst the several services and disciplines involved in vascular care – high-tech computer imagery in radiology, a plethora of powerful new drugs, polymer and metallurgy developments and advances in interventional access and delivery technology in cardiology and surgery.
The growing awareness of the complex biology of vascular disease begs a more efficient and integrated approach -- provided by the doctors at the Vascular Institute, where patients and families benefit from the efficient evaluation and completeness of this integrated approach. From risk factor modification to the latest in minimally invasive procedures, patients greatly benefit from the collegial relationships of the specialists in the Vascular Institute.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 888-637-2762.
California Pacific's Heart and Vascular Center
California Pacific's Heart and Vascular Center is supported by one of the best heart hospital/center networks in the USA, offering quality, comprehensive patient-centered cardiovascular care by a team of top heart surgeons and physicians with leading-edge technology. Serving the entire San Francisco Bay Area, including San Francisco and Marin County, as well as the entire Northern California region, our team has many of the best cardiovascular surgeons and physicians in California and the United States.