Motility Diagnostic Procedures
Upper Endoscopy / Esophageal Manometry / Impedance
Call 415-600-3676 to register by phone within five (5) days of your appointment.
Please check in 15 minutes before your appointment at:
California Pacific Medical Center
2333 Buchanan St. 5th floor GI Lab
San Francisco, CA 94115
Please bring your insurance card(s).
- Two (2) Weeks PRIOR to your Procedure: please STOP taking Antibiotics(Erythromycin, Flagyl, Cipro, Xifaxan, etc) or Probiotics(Align, VSL#3, Yogurt, etc).
- Six (6) Hours PRIOR to your Procedure: please STOP Eating (including mints, gums, hard candy, etc.), you may Drink Clear Liquids only.
- Three (3) Hours PRIOR to your Procedure: please STOP Drinking all fluids at this time.
This procedure will take approximately 1-2 hours. You must bring a driver or arrange transportation home after your procedure. Driving is not permitted for at least 12 hours, due to drowsiness and delayed reflexes from the IV medication. Your driver must present themselves in person at Ambulatory Surgery. DO NOT have your driver meet you in the hospital lobby or any other location. You should also not conduct any business or sign any legal documents until the next day.
For the Prolonged Acid Reflux Test (PH Test), the GI Lab will ask you to return in one day.
- Please STOP taking blood thinner(coumadin, aspirin, plavix, heparin, etc) and anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naprosyn etc). If you cannot stop these medications, please contact our office at least one (1) week prior to your procedure to discuss this with our nurse.
- If you have diabetes and take insulin, do not take your morning dose on the day of the examination. Check your finger-stick glucose before leaving home and notify the nurse of the results upon arrival to the endoscopy suite. Bring your blood glucose meter and your home insulin dosing with you in case the nurse needs to treat you.
- STOP eating at least six (6) hours before your procedure. STOP drinking all fluids at least four (4) hours before your procedure. You may take necessary medication with sips of water.
- IF you are taking H2 BLOCKERS (Pepcid and Zantac) and/or PPI’S (Nexium, Dexilant, Prilosec(Omeprazole), Prevacid (Lansoprazole), Protonix (Pantoprazole), and Aciphex) or CARAFATE (Sucralfate), Please STOP taking them for five (5) days PRIOR to your procedure. If you can tolerate it.
Center for Neurogastroenterology and Motility
California Pacific Medical Center.
Center for Neurogastroenterology and Motility in San Francisco features some of the top-rated gastrointestinal (GI) disease doctors in the San Francisco Bay Area, Marin county and Northern California. Providing personalized patient care using the most successful motility diagnosis and treatment available is what we do best.