Genealogy of the California Pacific Medical Center & its Department of Ophthalmology
William H. Spencer, M.D.
Dr. Cooper's Eye, Ear, and Orthopaedic Infirmary is established at 11 Sansome St.
Cooper founds the first medical school in the far west - "The Medical Dept. of the University of the Pacific" (a Methodist Episcopalian college founded 1851 in San Jose; now in Stockton). Charter is obtained in 1858; first session is held May 1859. Clinical teaching is in the top story of Dr. Cooper's office.
Dr. Lane joins Cooper's practice and the school's faculty.
Death of Dr. Cooper (age 40).
Medical Department of the University of the Pacific is voluntarily suspended - financial problems.
Dr. Toland opens his school near Stockton and Chestnut (forerunner of UCSF).
Some of the Pacific faculty (including Lane & Gibbons) teach at Toland's school.
Lane and former Pacific faculty break with Toland and reorganize the former Medical Department of the University of the Pacific as "The Medical College of the Pacific affiliated with the University (City) College" (a Presbyterian college formed in 1860; now the San Francisco Theological Seminary). School is located at Stockton St. near Geary. Access to St. Mary's Hospital for clinical material is gained.
Lane is appointed acting professor of ophthalmology and otolaryngology.
Adolph Barkan is appointed as the first professor of ophthalmology and otolaryngology (He will later continue in the same position at Cooper Medical College and at Stanford University Medical School).
Cooper Medical College is founded by Lane with members of the faculty of the Medical College of the Pacific. Last class is graduated from the latter. New medical School building is opened at Sacramento and Webster; built by Dr. Lane with personal funds. Additions to building in 1892. Lane Hospital is opened in 1895.
Lane's gifts (plus those of Spreckels and McDonald) amount to $600,000.
Death of Dr. Lane. Limited finances - school searches for university affiliation
Stanford University accepts Cooper Medical College as its Department of Medicine, complete control does not pass from the directors of Cooper Medical College to the trustees of Stanford University in 1912.
Adolph Barkan is appointed ophthalmology otolaryngology chair.
Adolph Barkan retires and returns to Europe.
Albert B. McKee is appointed by Stanford University as Adolph Barkan's successor.
Hans Barkan returns from training in Vienna and joins the eye department faculty.
Hans Barkan succeeds Albert McKee as eye department chair. Officially initiates residency training program.
Alfred E. Maumenee succeeds Hans Barkan as eye department chair. He moves to the Wilmer Institute at Johns Hopkins in 1955.
Dohrmann K. Pischel serves as department of ophthalmology chair until 1958.
Stanford plans move of medical school to Palo Alto campus.
Jerome W. Bettman succeeds Dohrmann Pischel as chair of eye department.
Stanford Medical School moves to Palo Alto; 100 years after Elias Cooper initiated its forerunner school(s).
Stanford ophthalmology training program continues at Palo Alto as a division of the department of surgery.
Lions Eye Foundation for Children, Inc. is formed. Title is changed to Lions Eye Foundation of California/Nevada, Inc. when the Lions elect to financially support the eye care of adults as well as children (They have now provided financial support for needy eye patients at this facility for 49 years).
All buildings, equipment and land are transferred to a non-profit corporation sponsored by Presbytery of S.F.
Arthur J. Jampolsky succeeds Jerome Bettman as department chair.
Bruce E. Spivey is recruited by Arthur Jampolsky as eye department chair; Spivey also serves as Dean of the School of Medical Sciences at the University of the Pacific.
New Presbyterian Hospital opens ($22.5 million).
Cooper medical building and Lane Hospital are demolished.
Presbyterian Hospital is in dire financial straits; Bruce Spivey becomes President/CEO and crisis passes. Name eventually becomes Pacific Medical Center.
Pacific Vision Foundation is formed.
Pan Med building (at former site of Cooper/Lane) is occupied.
Robert L. Stamper is appointed chair of eye department.
California Healthcare System is formed (PMC. Mills Peninsula, Marin General. Alta Bates is added in 1990). Bruce Spivey is CEO.
Merger with Children' s Hospital of San Francisco - name is changed to California Pacific Medical Center.
Bruce Spivey moves to Chicago to head Northwestern HealthCare Network.
Robert Stamper retires as department chair and is succeeded by William B. Stewart.
California Pacific affiliates with Sutter Health System.
William Stewart resigns departmental chair and accepts position as Medical Director of the Institute for Health and Healing.
Susan Day is appointed to chair the Department of Ophthalmology, marking the 72nd anniversary of formal ophthalmology residency training at California Pacific.