Program in Medicine & Human Values
The Program in Medicine & Human Values at California Pacific Medical Center provides medical ethics consultation for professionals and families, a variety of sponsored continuing education activities for practicing health care professionals, resources through our special library collection, research, and regional ethics resources.
Three of our bioethicists discuss details of an ethics consultation.
During our now over ten years of existence, the Program in Medicine and Human Values (PMHV) has demonstrated numerous achievements in medical ethics including a robust clinical consultation service, supported by a fully functioning ethics committee. Since 1985, PMHV has provided over 900 ethics consultations to patients and hospital staff, including our current work within the Sutter Health Bay Area Region.
Ethics WebEx Conferences
- WebEx: Ethical Issues around Pain Management
Tuesday, November 1, 2016, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m
Please visit our Conferences and Events page for access to the videos.
- California End of Life Option Act
- Decision Making for the Unrepresented Patient
- Refusal of Therapy by Patients with Capacity Limitations: Ethical Approaches
- What is Death and What is Wrong with It?
- Advance Care Planning – I & II
- The Right to Say No: When Medical Treatments are Non-beneficial
- Whose Decision is it? Guidelines for Health Care Decision Making
Current issues in biomedical ethics from around the world.
Dying in America: Improving Quality and Honoring Individual Preferences Near the End of Life Opens new window - a report from the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies
In Dying in America, a consensus report from the Institute of Medicine (IOM), a committee of experts finds that improving the quality and availability of medical and social services for patients and their families could not only enhance quality of life through the end of life, but may also contribute to a more sustainable care system.
- Ethical Issues in Pediatric Face Transplantation: Should We Perform Face Transplantation in Children? Opens new window
The Atlantic, 9/17/2014 Opens new window
Why I Hope to Die at 75
The Globe and Mail, 4/7/2014 Opens new window
New documentary opens conversation about death
Forbes, 4/4/2014 Opens new window
Surrogate Parenthood For Money Is A Form Of Human Trafficking
NPR, 4/3/2014 Opens new window
Shooting Unfairly Links Violence With Mental Illness — Again