Basic Science Researcher
Greg Tranah, PhD
Exploring the genetic basis of aging and age-related illnesses
Research in the Tranah lab focuses on the genetics and epidemiology of aging and age-related diseases.
Dr. Tranah leads deep sequencing studies to identify inherited and acquired mitochondrial DNA mutations that impact age-related declines in cognitive, sensory and physical functioning. He leads large-scale genetic studies of aging and disease in several population-based cohorts, and conducts analyses in multiple international genetics consortia.
Dr. Tranah received his Ph.D. in ecology from the University of California, Davis, and completed postdoctoral work in epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, Massachusetts.
Recent publications include:
- Tranah GJ, Yokoyama JS, Katzman SM, Nalls MA, Newman AB, Harris TB, Cesari M, Manini TM, Schork NJ, Cummings SR, Liu Y, Yaffe K; Health, Aging and Body Composition Study. Mitochondrial DNA sequence associations with dementia and amyloid-β in elderly African Americans.Neurobiol Aging. 2013 Oct 18.
- Elbers CC, Garcia ME, Kimura M, Cummings SR, Nalls MA, Newman AB, Park V, Sanders JL, Tranah GJ, Tishkoff SA, Harris TB, Aviv A. Comparison Between Southern Blots and qPCR Analysis of Leukocyte Telomere Length in the Health ABC Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013 Aug 14.
- Maglione JE, Ancoli-Israel S, Peters KW, Paudel ML, Yaffe K, Ensrud KE, Tranah GJ, Stone KL; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Depressive Symptoms and Circadian Activity Rhythm Disturbances in Community-Dwelling Older Women. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2013 Mar 26.
- Kripke DF, Nievergelt CM, Tranah GJ, Murray SS, Rex KM, Grizas AP, Hahn EK, Lee HJ, Kelsoe JR, Kline LE. FMR1, circadian genes and depression: suggestive associations or false discovery? J Circadian Rhythms. 2013 Mar 23;11(1):3.
- Evans DS, Parimi N, Nievergelt CM, Blackwell T, Redline S, Ancoli-Israel S, Orwoll ES, Cummings SR, Stone KL, Tranah GJ; Study of Osteoporotic Fractures (SOF); Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Common genetic variants in ARNTL and NPAS2 and at chromosome 12p13 are associated with objectively measured sleep traits in the elderly. Sleep. 2013 Mar 1;36(3):431-46.
- Murphy RA, Nalls MA, Keller M, Garcia M, Kritchevsky SB, Tylavsky FA, Newman AB, Tranah GJ, Eiriksdottir G, Gudnason V, Harris TB. Candidate gene association study of BMI-related loci, weight, and adiposity in old age. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2013 Jun;68(6):661-6.
- Tranah GJ, Nalls MA, Katzman SM, Yokoyama JS, Lam ET, Zhao Y, Mooney S, Thomas F, Newman AB, Liu Y, Cummings SR, Harris TB, Yaffe K. Mitochondrial DNA sequence variation associated with dementia and cognitive function in the elderly. J Alzheimers Dis. 2012;32(2):357-72.
Visit www.cpmcri-currents.org for the latest news about Dr. Tranah's research.