Basic Science Researcher
Liliana Soroceanu, MD, PhD
Uncovering the role of human cytomegalovirus in glioblastoma pathogenesis, and developing novel therapies for glioblastoma
Dr. Soroceanu’s earlier research in collaboration with Dr. Charles Cobbs was aimed at determining the role of human cytomegalovirus (CMV) in tumorigenesis and understanding its oncomodulatory effects. Ongoing investigations in the Soroceanu lab will further explore CMV and its actions in promoting the immunosuppressive environment of brain tumors, and determine the effects of antiviral therapies as anti-tumor agents for glioblastoma.
Working with fellow CPMCRI researchers Drs. Pierre Desprez and Sean McAllister, Dr. Soroceanu is studying the inhibition and down-regulation of the protein Id-1 in brain tumor cells by cannabinoid compounds including cannabidiol (CBD). She is also determining the efficacy of CBD and related compounds in sensitizing tumors to frontline therapeutics (e.g., chemotherapy).
With researchers in the Kashani lab at CPMCRI, Dr. Soroceanu is investigating the mechanisms by which PHIP enhances the aggressiveness of cancer and determining whether inhibiting the protein will alter the aggressive behaviors of gliomas in vivo.
Dr. Soroceanu received her M.D. from the School of Medicine at the University of Iasi, Romania, and her Ph.D. in neurobiology from the University of Alabama. Before joining CPMCRI in 2006, she completed post-doctoral work in neuro-oncology at Genentech.
Recent publications include:
- Hadaczek P, Ozawa T, Soroceanu L, Yoshida Y, Matlaf L, Singer E, Fiallos E, James CD, Cobbs CS.Cidofovir: a novel antitumor agent for glioblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2013 Dec 1;19(23):6473-83.
- Matlaf LA, Harkins LE, Bezrookove V, Cobbs CS, Soroceanu L. Cytomegalovirus pp71 protein is expressed in human glioblastoma and promotes pro-angiogenic signaling by activation of stem cell factor. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 5;8(7):e68176.
- Soroceanu L, Murase R, Limbad C, Singer E, Allison J, Adrados I, Kawamura R, Pakdel A, Fukuyo Y, Nguyen D, Khan S, Arauz R, Yount GL, Moore DH, Desprez PY, McAllister SD. Id-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of glioblastoma aggressiveness and a novel therapeutic target. Cancer Res. 2013 Mar 1;73(5):1559-69.
- Soroceanu L, Murase R, Limbad C, Singer E, Allison J, Adrados I, Kawamura R, Pakdel A, Fukuyo Y, Nguyen D, Khan S, Arauz R, Yount GL, Moore DH, Desprez PY, McAllister SD. Id-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of glioblastoma aggressiveness and a novel therapeutic target. 2012 Cancer Res;73(5):1559-1569.
- Kristine Dziurzynski, Susan M. Chang, Amy B. Heimberger, Robert F. Kalejta, Stuart R. McGregor Dallas, Martine Smit, Liliana Soroceanu, and Charles S. Cobbs, the HCMV and Gliomas Symposium. Consensus on the role of human cytomegalovirus in glioblastoma. Neuro-Oncology 14(3):246–255, 2012.
- Soroceanu L, Cobbs CS. Is HCMV a tumor promoter? Virus Res. 2011 May;157(2):193-203.
- Soroceanu L, Matlaf L, Bezrookove V, Harkins L, Martinez R, Greene M, Soteropoulos P, Cobbs CS. Human cytomegalovirus US28 found in glioblastoma promotes an invasive and angiogenic phenotype. Cancer Res. 2011 Nov 1;71(21):6643-53.