Basic Science Researcher
California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute
Mohammed Kashani-Sabet, M.D.Introduction | Publications
"Melanoma has been a tough nut to crack, but we are making progress," said melanoma expert Mohammed Kashani-Sabet, M.D. A physician and researcher, he directs California Pacific Medical Center’s Center for Melanoma Research and Treatment. "For the first time, there is real promise that individualized approaches are going to offer physicians and their patients better ways to manage this disease."
Melanoma is the most aggressive form of skin cancer. With early detection and prompt treatment, it is highly curable. Once the disease spreads, it can be difficult to control and potentially lethal. In fact, melanoma accounts for less than 5 percent of all skin cancer cases in the United States, but causes more than 75 percent of all skin cancer-related deaths, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).
Moving away from one-size-fits-all treatments, researchers are focusing on molecular medicine to make strides against melanoma. Using genetic maps, they’re working to develop and test more refined strategies for diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
A new diagnostic technique developed by Dr. Kashani-Sabet and his colleagues could aid in the diagnosis of malignant melanoma. Using gene chip analysis, they discovered that melanomas express certain genes in higher levels than harmless moles. The researchers then developed and tested a multi-marker assay to distinguish between the two lesions. In 2009, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published their findings. These five markers were accurate in the diagnosis of skin lesions about 92 percent of the time.
In a separate study led by Dr.Kashani-Sabet, researchers explored the use of three different molecular markers to determine the severity of melanoma.
The molecular diagnostic technique is not available yet commercially, but Dr. Kashani-Sabet hopes to make it accessible at CPMC’s Center for Melanoma Research and Treatment, which now has some of the best and brightest melanoma experts in the nation.
Back to top
Publications by Mohammed Kashani-Sabet in PubMed.
Recent publications include:
- Vascular endothelial platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule 1 (PECAM-1) regulates advanced metastatic progression. DeLisser H, Liu Y, Desprez PY, Thor A, Briasouli P, Handumrongkul C, Wilfong J, Yount G, Nosrati M, Fong S, Shtivelman E, Fehrenbach M, Cao G, Moore DH, Nyack S, Liggitt D, Kashani-Sabet M, Debs R.: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct 26;107(43):18616-21. Epub 2010 Oct 6.
- Meeting report from the Third Global Workshop on Melanoma. Agarwala SS, di Pietro A, Flaherty KT, Garbe C, Grob JJ, Kashani-Sabet M, Kirkwood JM, Leachman S, Messina J, O'Day S, Ribas A, Sondak V.: Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2010 Oct;23(5):e1-7. Epub 2010 Aug 16. No abstract available.
- Detection of occult melanoma by preoperative positron emission tomography-computed tomography and intraoperative ultrasonography. Shoo BA, Kangelaris G, Callen PW, Kashani-Sabet M, Leong SP.: J Cutan Med Surg. 2010 May-Jun;14(3):130-5.
- Functional modulation of IGF-binding protein-3 expression in melanoma. Dar AA, Majid S, Nosrati M, de Semir D, Federman S, Kashani-Sabet M.: J Invest Dermatol. 2010 Aug;130(8):2071-9. Epub 2010 Apr 1.
- Discordance in the histopathologic diagnosis of melanoma at a melanoma referral center. Shoo BA, Sagebiel RW, Kashani-Sabet M.: J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010 May;62(5):751-6. Epub 2010 Mar 19.
- Tumor progression by immune evasion in melanoma: role of the programmed cell death-1/programmed cell death-1 ligand 1 interaction. Kashani-Sabet M.: Cancer. 2010 Apr 1;116(7):1623-5. No abstract available.
- A multimarker prognostic assay for primary cutaneous melanoma. Kashani-Sabet M, Venna S, Nosrati M, Rangel J, Sucker A, Egberts F, Baehner FL, Simko J, Leong SP, Haqq C, Hauschild A, Schadendorf D, Miller JR 3rd, Sagebiel RW.: Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Nov 15;15(22):6987-92. Epub 2009 Nov 3.
- Prognostic factors in metastatic melanoma patients treated with biochemotherapy and maintenance immunotherapy. Minor DR, Moore D, Kim C, Kashani-Sabet M, Venna SS, Wang W, Boasberg P, O'Day S.: Oncologist. 2009 Oct;14(10):995-1002. Epub 2009 Sep 23.
- A phase I study of a 2-day lapatinib chemosensitization pulse preceding nanoparticle albumin-bound Paclitaxel for advanced solid malignancies. Chien AJ, Illi JA, Ko AH, Korn WM, Fong L, Chen LM, Kashani-Sabet M, Ryan CJ, Rosenberg JE, Dubey S, Small EJ, Jahan TM, Hylton NM, Yeh BM, Huang Y, Koch KM, Moasser MM.: Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Sep 1;15(17):5569-75. Epub 2009 Aug 25.
- Meeting report: consensus from the first and second Global Workshops in Melanoma November 19-20, 2008. Agarwala SS, Becker JC, Eggermont AM, Flaherty KT, Garbe C, Goldstein AM, Halpern A, Kashani-Sabet M, Hauschild A, Kirkwood JM, Leachman S, Lorigan P, McMahon M, Messina J, Ribas A, Samlowski WE, Schadendorf D, Sondak VK.: Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2009 Oct;22(5):532-43. Epub 2009 Jun 29.
- Melanoma arising in African-, Asian-, Latino- and Native-American populations. Shoo BA, Kashani-Sabet M.: Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2009 Jun;28(2):96-102. Review.
- Infliximab in the treatment of anti-CTLA4 antibody (ipilimumab) induced immune-related colitis. Minor DR, Chin K, Kashani-Sabet M.: Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2009 Jun;24(3):321-5.PMID: 19538054 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations
- Emerging concepts in biomarker discovery; the US-Japan Workshop on Immunological Molecular Markers in Oncology. Tahara H, Sato M, Thurin M, Wang E, Butterfield LH, Disis ML, Fox BA, Lee PP, Khleif SN, Wigginton JM, Ambs S, Akutsu Y, Chaussabel D, Doki Y, Eremin O, Fridman WH, Hirohashi Y, Imai K, Jacobson J, Jinushi M, Kanamoto A, Kashani-Sabet M, Kato K, Kawakami Y, Kirkwood JM, Kleen TO, Lehmann PV, Liotta L, Lotze MT, Maio M, Malyguine A, Masucci G, Matsubara H, Mayrand-Chung S, Nakamura K, Nishikawa H, Palucka AK, Petricoin EF, Pos Z, Ribas A, Rivoltini L, Sato N, Shiku H, Slingluff CL, Streicher H, Stroncek DF, Takeuchi H, Toyota M, Wada H, Wu X, Wulfkuhle J, Yaguchi T, Zeskind B, Zhao Y, Zocca MB, Marincola FM.: J Transl Med. 2009 Jun 17;7:45.
- Melanoma. Coit DG, Andtbacka R, Bichakjian CK, Dilawari RA, Dimaio D, Guild V, Halpern AC, Hodi FS, Kashani-Sabet M, Lange JR, Lind A, Martin L, Martini MC, Pruitt SK, Ross MI, Sener SF, Swetter SM, Tanabe KK, Thompson JA, Trisal V, Urist MM, Weber J, Wong MK; NCCN Melanoma Panel.: J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2009 Mar;7(3):250-75. No abstract available.
- A multi-marker assay to distinguish malignant melanomas from benign nevi. Kashani-Sabet M, Rangel J, Torabian S, Nosrati M, Simko J, Jablons DM, Moore DH, Haqq C, Miller JR 3rd, Sagebiel RW.: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Apr 14;106(15):6268-72. Epub 2009 Mar 30.
- Ribozyme-mediated targeting of IkappaBgamma inhibits melanoma invasion and metastasis. Torabian SZ, de Semir D, Nosrati M, Bagheri S, Dar AA, Fong S, Liu Y, Federman S, Simko J, Haqq C, Debs RJ, Kashani-Sabet M.:
Am J Pathol. 2009 Mar;174(3):1009-16. Epub 2009 Jan 29.
- Novel role for RGS1 in melanoma progression. Rangel J, Nosrati M, Leong SP, Haqq C, Miller JR 3rd, Sagebiel RW, Kashani-Sabet M.: Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 Aug;32(8):1207-12.
- Knockdown of telomerase RNA using hammerhead ribozymes and RNA interference. Li S, Nosrati M, Kashani-Sabet M. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;405:113-31.
- Osteopontin as a molecular prognostic marker for melanoma. Rangel J, Nosrati M, Torabian S, Shaikh L, Leong SP, Haqq C, Miller JR 3rd, Sagebiel RW, Kashani-Sabet M.: Cancer. 2008 Jan 1;112(1):144-50.
Back to top