Basic Science Researcher
Mohammed Kashani-Sabet, MD
"Melanoma has been a tough nut to crack, but we are making progress," said melanoma expert Mohammed Kashani-Sabet, M.D. A physician and researcher, he directs California Pacific Medical Center’s Center for Melanoma Research and Treatment. "For the first time, there is real promise that individualized approaches are going to offer physicians and their patients better ways to manage this disease."
Melanoma is the most aggressive form of skin cancer. With early detection and prompt treatment, it is highly curable. Once the disease spreads, it can be difficult to control and potentially lethal. In fact, melanoma accounts for less than 5 percent of all skin cancer cases in the United States, but causes more than 75 percent of all skin cancer-related deaths, according to the American Cancer Society (ACS).
Moving away from one-size-fits-all treatments, researchers are focusing on molecular medicine to make strides against melanoma. Using genetic maps, they’re working to develop and test more refined strategies for diagnosis, prevention and treatment.
A new diagnostic technique developed by Dr. Kashani-Sabet and his colleagues could aid in the diagnosis of malignant melanoma. Using gene chip analysis, they discovered that melanomas express certain genes in higher levels than harmless moles. The researchers then developed and tested a multi-marker assay to distinguish between the two lesions. In 2009, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences published their findings. These five markers were accurate in the diagnosis of skin lesions about 92 percent of the time.
In a separate study led by Dr.Kashani-Sabet, researchers explored the use of three different molecular markers to determine the severity of melanoma.
The molecular diagnostic technique is not available yet commercially, but Dr. Kashani-Sabet hopes to make it accessible at CPMC’s Center for Melanoma Research and Treatment, which now has some of the best and brightest melanoma experts in the nation.
Publications by Mohammed Kashani-Sabet Opens new window in PubMed.
Recent publications include:
- Bezrookove V, De Semir D, Nosrati M, Tong S, Wu C, Thummala S, Dar AA, Leong SP, Cleaver JE, Sagebiel RW, Miller JR 3rd, Kashani-Sabet M. Prognostic Impact of PHIP Copy Number in Melanoma: Linkage to Ulceration. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. Sept 4, 2013.
- Dar AA, Majid S, Rittsteuer C, de Semir D, Bezrookove V, Tong S, Nosrati M, Sagebiel R, Miller JR 3rd, Kashani-Sabet M. The role of miR-18b in MDM2-p53 pathway signaling and melanoma progression. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Mar 20;105(6):433-42.
- Han D, Zager JS, Shyr Y, Chen H, Berry LD, Iyengar S, Djulbegovic M, Weber JL, Marzban SS, Sondak VK, Messina JL, Vetto JT, White RL, Pockaj B, Mozzillo N, Charney KJ, Avisar E, Krouse R, Kashani-Sabet M, Leong SP. Clinicopathologic predictors of sentinel lymph node metastasis in thin melanoma. J Clin Oncol. 2013 Dec 10;31(35):4387-93.
- Ruschulte H, Shi S, Tseng WW, Kolodzie K, Crawford PC, Schneider DB, Kashani-Sabet M, Minor D, Apfel C, Leong SP. Anesthesia management of patients undergoing hyperthermic isolated limb perfusion with melphalan for melanoma treatment: an analysis of 17 cases. BMC Anesthesiol. 2013 Jul 17;13(1):15.
- Ascierto PA, Grimaldi AM, Acquavella N, Borgognoni L, Calabrò L, Cascinelli N, Cesano A, Del Vecchio M, Eggermont AM, Faries M, Ferrone S, Fox BA, Gajewski TF, Galon J, Gnjatic S, Gogas H, Kashani-Sabet M, et al. Future perspectives in melanoma research. Meeting report from the "Melanoma Bridge. Napoli, December 2nd-4th 2012. J Transl Med. 2013 Jun 3;11:137.
- Fadaki N, Li R, Parrett B, Sanders G, Thummala S, Martineau L, Cardona-Huerta S, Miranda S, Cheng ST, Miller JR 3rd, Singer M, Cleaver JE, Kashani-Sabet M, Leong SP. Is head and neck melanoma different from trunk and extremity melanomas with respect to sentinel lymph node status and clinical outcome? Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 Sep;20(9):3089-97.
- Kashani-Sabet M, Sagebiel RW, Joensuu H, Miller JR 3rd. A patient-centered methodology that improves the accuracy of prognostic predictions in cancer. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e56435.
- Cordoro KM, Gupta D, Frieden IJ, McCalmont T, Kashani-Sabet M. Pediatric melanoma: results of a large cohort study and proposal for modified ABCD detection criteria for children. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013 Jun;68(6):913-25.
- Venna SS, Thummala S, Nosrati M, Leong SP, Miller JR 3rd, Sagebiel RW, Kashani-Sabet M. Analysis of sentinel lymph node positivity in patients with thin primary melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013 Apr;68(4):560-7.
- Menzel P, Abendroth R, Kashani-Sabet M, Minor DR: Combined ipilimumab and radiotherapy for metastatic melanoma. Pig Cell & Melanoma Res Nov 2013: 26: 980 (abstr).
- Minor DR, Wang W, Kashani-Sabet M: Concurrent bevacizumab (BEV) with biochemotherapy (BIO) followed by ipilimumab for advanced melanoma: a phase I-II trial. J Clin Oncol 2013 (suppl; abstr e200001).