Pierre Desprez, PhD
Identifying transcriptional regulators that control cancer progression and metastasis
The Desprez laboratory is focused on helix-loop-helix transcriptional regulators, and their role in controlling normal and cancerous epithelial cell phenotypes. Id proteins—negative regulators of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors—have been identified as a critical regulator of proliferation and migration/invasion.
Dr. Desprez and his colleagues found that Id genes and proteins not only correlate with but also determine the level of aggressiveness of human breast and prostate cancer cells, and that Id-1 regulates multiple tumor-promoting pathways in brain cancer (glioblastoma).
In collaboration with CPMCRI scientist Dr. Sean McAllister, recent investigations by Dr. Desprez have determined that cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabinoid with a low toxicity profile, inhibits human cancer cell proliferation and invasion through differential modulation of specific pathways, and down-regulates Id-1 gene expression. CBD also up-regulates the pro-differentiation factor Id-2 in breast cancer cells.
Before joining CPMCRI, Dr. Desprez completed his Ph.D. at the University of Lyon in France, and worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratories of Drs. Judith Campisi and Mina Bissell at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on extracellular matrix, mammary gland development, breast cancer and cellular senescence.
Publications by Pierre Y Desprez Opens new window in PubMed.
Recent publications include:
- Laberge RM, Adler D, DeMaria M, Mechtouf N, Teachenor R, Cardin GB, Desprez PY, Campisi J, Rodier F. Mitochondrial DNA damage induces apoptosis in senescent cells. Cell Death Dis. 2013 Jul 18;4:e727.
- Sumida T, Murase R, Onishi-Ishikawa A, McAllister SD, Hamakawa H, Desprez PY. Targeting Id1 reduces proliferation and invasion in aggressive human salivary gland cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2013 Mar 22;13:141.
- Soroceanu L, Murase R, Limbad C, Singer E, Allison J, Adrados I, Kawamura R, Pakdel A, Fukuyo Y, Nguyen D, Khan S, Arauz R, Yount GL, Moore DH, Desprez PY, McAllister SD. Id-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of glioblastoma aggressiveness and a novel therapeutic target. Cancer Res. 2013 Mar 1;73(5):1559-69.
- Soroceanu L, Murase R, Limbad C, Singer EL, Allison J, Adrados I, Kawamura R, Pakdel A, Fukuyo Y, Nguyen D, Khan S, Arauz R, Yount GL, Moore D, Desprez PY, McAllister SD. Id-1 is a Key Transcriptional Regulator of Glioblastoma Aggressiveness and a Novel Therapeutic Target. Cancer Res. 2012 Dec 13.
- Zou Y, Zhang N, Ellerby LM, Davalos AR, Zeng X, Campisi J, Desprez PY. Responses of human embryonic stem cells and their differentiated progeny to ionizing radiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012 Sep 14;426(1):100-5.
- Laberge RM, Zhou L, Sarantos MR, Rodier F, Freund A, de Keizer PL, Liu S, Demaria M, Cong YS, Kapahi P, Desprez PY, Hughes RE, Campisi J. Glucocorticoids suppress selected components of the senescence-associated secretory phenotype. Aging Cell. 2012 Aug;11(4):569-78.
- Laberge RM, Awad P, Campisi J, Desprez PY. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition induced by senescent fibroblasts. Cancer Microenviron. 2012 Apr;5(1):39-44.
- Murase R, Sumida T, Ishikawa A, Murase R, McAllister SD, Hamakawa H, Desprez PY. Novel therapeutic strategies for malignant salivary gland tumors: lessons learned from breast cancer. Int J Otolaryngol. 2011;2011:187623.
- Laberge RM, Awad P, Campisi J, Desprez PY. Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Induced by Senescent Fibroblasts. Cancer Microenviron. 2011 Jun 25.
- McAllister SD, Murase R, Christian RT, Lau D, Zielinski AJ, Allison J, Almanza C, Pakdel A, Lee J, Limbad C, Liu Y, Debs RJ, Moore DH, Desprez PY. Pathways mediating the effects of cannabidiol on the reduction of breast cancer cell proliferation, invasion, and metastasis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Aug;129(1):37-47.
- Coppe JP, Rodier F, Patil CK, Freund A, Desprez PY, Campisi J. Tumor Suppressor and Aging Biomarker p16(INK4a) induces cellular senescence without the associated inflammatory secretory phenotype. J Biol Chem, 2011 Oct 21; 286(42):36396-403.
Visit www.cpmcri-currents.org for the latest news about Dr. Desprez's research.
Recent research on cannabidiol inhibiting breast cancer and clinical trials with cannabinoids