California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute
Pierre Desprez, PhDIntroduction | Publications
Identifying transcriptional regulators that control cancer progression and metastasis
The Desprez laboratory is focused on helix-loop-helix transcriptional regulators, and their role in controlling normal and cancerous epithelial cell phenotypes. Id proteins—negative regulators of basic helix-loop-helix transcription factors—have been identified as a critical regulator of proliferation and migration/invasion.
Dr. Desprez and his colleagues found that Id genes and proteins not only correlate with but also determine the level of aggressiveness of human breast and prostate cancer cells, and that Id-1 regulates multiple tumor-promoting pathways in brain cancer (glioblastoma).
In collaboration with CPMCRI scientist Dr. Sean McAllister, recent investigations by Dr. Desprez have determined that cannabidiol (CBD), a cannabinoid with a low toxicity profile, inhibits human cancer cell proliferation and invasion through differential modulation of specific pathways, and down-regulates Id-1 gene expression. CBD also up-regulates the pro-differentiation factor Id-2 in breast cancer cells.
Before joining CPMCRI, Dr. Desprez completed his Ph.D. at the University of Lyon in France, and worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratories of Drs. Judith Campisi and Mina Bissell at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on extracellular matrix, mammary gland development, breast cancer and cellular senescence.
Back to top
Publications by Pierre Y DesprezOpens new window in PubMed.
Recent publications include:
- McAllister SD, Murase R, Christian RT, Lau D, Zielinski AJ, Allison J, Almanza C, Pakdel A, Lee J, Limbad C, Liu Y, Debs RJ, Moore DH, Desprez PY. Pathways mediating the effects of cannabidiol on the reduction of breast cancer cell proliferation, invasion, and metastasis. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Aug;129(1):37-47. Epub 2010 Sep 22.
- Gautschi O, Tepper CG, Purnell PR, Izumiya Y, Evans CP, Green TP, Desprez PY, Lara PN, Gandara DR, Mack PC, Kung HJ.Regulation of Id1 expression by SRC: implications for targeting of the bone morphogenetic protein pathway in cancer. Cancer Res. 2008 Apr 1;68(7):2250-8.
- McAllister SD, Christian RT, Horowitz MP, Garcia A, Desprez P. Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 6, 2921-2927, November 1, 2007.
- Yoshimura T, Sumida T, Liu S, Onishi A, Shintani S, Desprez PY, Hamakawa H. Growth inhibition of human salivary gland tumor cells by introduction of progesterone (Pg) receptor and Pg treatment.
Endocr Relat Cancer. 2007 Dec;14(4):1107-16.
- McAllister SD, Christian RT, Horowitz MP, Garcia A, Desprez PY. Cannabidiol as a novel inhibitor of Id-1 gene expression in aggressive breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007 Nov;6(11):2921-7.
- Tang B, Yoo N, Vu M, Mamura M, Nam JS, Ooshima A, Du Z, Desprez PY, Anver MR, Michalowska AM, Shih J, Parks WT, Wakefield LM. Transforming growth factor-beta can suppress tumorigenesis through effects on the putative cancer stem or early progenitor cell and committed progeny in a breast cancer xenograft model. Cancer Res. 2007 Sep 15;67(18):8643-52.
- Yasmeen A, Bismar TA, Kandouz M, Foulkes WD, Desprez PY, Al Moustafa AE. E6/E7 of HPV type 16 promotes cell invasion and metastasis of human breast cancer cells. Cell Cycle. 2007 Jun;6(16):2038-42. Epub 2007 Jun 6.
- Itahana Y, Piens M, Sumida T, Fong S, Muschler J, Desprez PY. Regulation of clusterin expression in mammary epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res. 2007 Mar 10;313(5):943-51. Epub 2006 Dec 24.
- Huh JI, Qiu TH, Chandramouli GV, Charles R, Wiench M, Hager GL, Catena R, Calvo A, LaVallee TM, Desprez PY, Green JE.
2-methoxyestradiol induces mammary gland differentiation through amphiregulin-epithelial growth factor receptor-mediated signaling: molecular distinctions from the mammary gland of pregnant mice.
Endocrinology. 2007 Mar;148(3):1266-77. Epub 2006 Dec 7.
- Zhao Y, Johansson C, Tran T, Bettencourt R, Itahana Y, Desprez PY, Konieczny SF. Identification of a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor expressed in mammary gland alveolar cells and required for maintenance of the differentiated state. Mol Endocrinol. 2006 Sep;20(9):2187-98. Epub 2006 Apr 27.
- Takeda T, Sakata M, Isobe A, Yamamoto T, Nishimoto F, Minekawa R, Hayashi M, Okamoto Y, Desprez PY, Tasaka K, Murata Y. Involvement of Sp-1 in the regulation of the Id-1 gene during trophoblast cell differentiation.
Placenta. 2007 Feb-Mar;28(2-3):192-8. Epub 2006 Apr 25.
- Tepper CG, Gregg JP, Shi XB, Vinall RL, Baron CA, Ryan PE, Desprez PY, Kung HJ, deVere White RW. Profiling of gene expression changes caused by p53 gain-of-function mutant alleles in prostate cancer cells. Prostate. 2005 Dec 1;65(4):375-89.
- Sumida T, Itahana Y, Hamakawa H, Desprez PY. Reduction of human metastatic breast cancer cell aggressiveness on introduction of either form a or B of the progesterone receptor and then treatment with progestins.
Cancer Res. 2004 Nov 1;64(21):7886-92.
- Fong S, Debs RJ, Desprez PY. Id genes and proteins as promising targets in cancer therapy. Trends Mol Med. 2004 Aug;10(8):387-92. Review.
- Coppe JP, Itahana Y, Moore DH, Bennington JL, Desprez PY. Id-1 and Id-2 proteins as molecular markers for human prostate cancer progression.
Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Mar 15;10(6):2044-51.
Back to top