- Through the institute's translational research focus, our investigators are changing clinical practice and transforming early-stage ideas into new diagnostics and therapeutics including companion diagnostics, novel methods to detect and treat ischemic stroke, and more precise, combinational and targeted therapies for aggressive cancers.
- Our investigators have initiated hundreds of clinical study protocols at numerous sites across Northern California in such diverse areas as ALS and other degenerative conditions, breast cancer, melanoma, chronic pain, obstetrics and gynecology, stroke and orthopedic surgery.
- Outcomes and health services research at CPMCRI is transforming the delivery of health care at CPMC and among Sutter Health affiliates—reducing postoperative ER visits and readmissions, decreasing unnecessary procedures including C-sections, and lessening overall hospital costs.
- Large multi-center studies—in women's health, aging, cognitive function, cardiovascular disease, breast cancer prevention, osteoporosis, and arthritis—initiated at CPMCRI in partnership with the SFCC have significantly advanced understanding of common, chronic illnesses.
- Biorepositories at CPMCRI and Sutter Health are being used to help predict risk of breast cancer, pinpoint early molecular events underlying glioblastoma, identify aggressive melanomas before onset of disease, pioneer new vaccines for liver diseases, and prevent organ rejection in kidney transplant patients.
- Our cancer researchers consistently publish in high-impact publications including the world's top medical journal, The New England Journal of Medicine—demonstrating CPMC's innovation and leadership in cancer research and clinical trials.