Main content

    Frequently Asked Questions for UOP Faculty

    Q: How do I find journals & journal articles?

    Answer: If you have a specific journal or journal article in mind, you can do one of the following:

    Go to Our Journals, put the name of the Journal in the Keyword search box, and click the "Begin Search" button. This tool will tell you whether the Library has the journal title and if we have an online version.

    If you are prompted for an id/password, and the link identifies the title as coming "via Ovid," you can use your Ovid id/pw to access the full text. If you do not have Ovid access, contact the Library to set up an id/pw. If the online journal is not supplied by Ovid please call us for assistance at 600-3240.

    If you do not have the full citation for the article, go to PubMed, click on "Single Citation Matcher" from PubMed’s sidebar, put in as much information as you know (author, volume, page, etc.) and click the "Go" button. From the results page, click on the author and the screen will expand to show you additional information including a "CPMC/UoP Full Text" icon if we have an online subscription to the title. Clicking on the icon should take you to the full text article online. If you have any trouble accessing any of our electronic journals, please call us for assistance at 600-3240.

    We can send you electronic copies of articles you have problems getting to directly. Additionally, we can copy and mail you articles not available online and if we do not own the journal we can obtain a copy from another library.

    Back to top

    Q: How do I find articles on a specific subject?

    Answer: If you are looking for journal articles or research in a specific subject:

    Use Medline to find references on the topic – use PubMed or Ovid Medline.

    PubMed is available anywhere, anytime without id/pw. If you select "Abstract" from the Display pull down menu, you will see links to full text articles. If you see the "CPMC/UoP Full Text" icon, that indicates that the Library has the full text article online. If you have problems retrieving the full text, call the Library at 600-3240 and we'll email the article(s) to you. PubMed has many robust and user friendly features.

    Ovid Medline gives you direct access to Ovid full text as well as links to full text from other vendors. Call the Library at 600-3240 for access to full text from other vendors.

    Other research sources are listed in our list of research databases.

    Ask the Reference Staff at the Library to do a literature search for you. You can call us at 600-3240 or email or contact the individual reference staff members (Anne Shew, Tilly Roche, Kathy Kimber) directly.

    Back to top

    Q: How do I search for books & other materials in the Library?

    Answer: Our Books Online access over 100 electronic fulltexts, including a few titles in Dentistry. You will need a MDConsult id/pw to access the Dental books, if you do not have a MDConsult id/pw, ask the Library for one. Most of the other online books are accessible with your Ovid id/pw.

    Our online book catalog lists our extensive collection of books in General and Operative Dentistry, Orthodontics, Prosthodontics, and the DVDs/Videos we have on our shelves.

    Our Interlibrary Loan service can obtain items not in our collection for you. Just call us at 600-3240.

    Back to top

    Q: Where do I find summaries of medical disorders or drug information?

    Ovid's 5 Minutes Council has clinical summaries on many medical disorders as well as links to Harrison's Textbook of Medicine online.

    If you need patient oriented information try MedlinePlus.

    Use LexiComp drug reference databases. These include links to patient handouts written in simple language, drug pictures to identify drugs, and drug interaction information. Ask UOP IT for your LexiComp id/pw.

    Back to top

    Q: How does online access work?

    From the UOP Arthur A Dugoni School of Dentistry: There is direct access to some, but not all, of the Library's online materials. Call the library at 600-3240 and ask the staff to email you articles that you have problems getting to directly.

    Remote or Off-Campus Access is possible for a small number of online dental materials. If you need an Ovid or MDConsult id/pw, contact the Library.

    Access from the Health Sciences Library building at 2395 Sacramento is seamless and direct for most online materials. Ask the staff for assistance.

    UOP Stockton Campus eJournals, Journal Articels & Databases are listed at the website of UOP Library at Stockton. Remote access via PacificNet id/pw is available to faculty. Use UOP LIbrary PubMed link to access articles from that collection.

    Back to top

    Q: What services does the Library offer?

    We provide assistance with literature searches, delivery of reprints, interlibrary loan of materials not owned, or book borrowing. Reference staff can perform both individual and group orientations on the use of research tools and resources.

    For most of the year, the library is open seven days a week. There are comfortable sofas, study carrels, as well as computers, printers, and a scanner. Wireless access is available throughout the building.

    Back to top

    Q: How can I use copyrighted materials?

    Know Your Copy Rights—What You Can Do : A 2007 Brochure Aimed at Faculty and Teaching Assistants covers fair use, the advantage of linking to instead of copying works, and special provisions for displaying or performing works in classes. A quick summary chart is also available.

    Back to top