An Overview of The Collection
The Arthur E. Guedel Memorial Anesthesia Center's collection comes from a number of sources over many years. Major donors include the Guedel family, Dr. William Neff, and Dr. John Pender. For more specific information, see the Collections and Pioneers sections.
The collection includes information about Arthur Guedel, The Guedel Memorial Anesthesia Center, and anesthesia in general:
- Dr. Guedel's correspondence, papers and personal written materials. His many correspondents include Dr. Richard Foregger, Dr. Chauncey Leake, The MacMillan Co., The Ohio Chemical and Manufacturing Co., Dr. Howard Raper, and Dr. Ralph Waters. Also noteworthy are the galleys of Dr. Guedel's book: Inhalation Anesthesia: A Fundamental Guide, and two scrapbooks.
- The Dr. Ralph Waters series, consisting primarily of his correspondence with Dr. Frank McMechan.
- The Dr. A.E. Bennett series of correspondence and papers including his correspondence with curare pioneer Richard Gill.
- Documents pertaining to the Guedel Memorial Anesthesia Center including records on the Biennial Western Conference, the American and California Societies of Anesthesiologists, and Dr. Ralph Waters's Aqualumni, and information on a number of eminent 20th century anesthesiologists.
- Photographs and slides including images of Dr. Guedel and various anesthesia equipments.
- Serials including the Aqualumni Newsletter from 1937 - 1947 and the California Society of Anesthesiologists Bulletin from 1950 - 1994.
- Books in anesthesia including many of historical significance.
- Items that belonged to Dr. Guedel displayed in the Guedel Center.
- Anesthesia equipments including those displayed in the Guedel Center.