Special Collections & Archives
Our current holdings include print and electronic journals and print and electronic books, audio-visual and other library materials. See our online library catalog for details on our print and audiovisual collection.
The Health Sciences Library acts as the repository for archival and historic materials of California Pacific Medical Center.
We house and maintain the institutional archives and have several special interest collections:
The Bioethics Collection is housed on the third floor of the Pacific Campus Library at 2395 Sacramento Street, it is developed in collaboration with the Program in Medicine & Human Values at California Pacific Medical Center.
Sterling Bunnell Memorial Library A collection of books on hand, hand injuries and hand surgery, archival materials and records from Dr. Sterling Bunnell (1882-1957), who pioneered many of the hand surgery techniques still in use today. He was the founder and first president of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Hand surgery is a specialty that grew out of the treatment of the many hand injuries that occurred during World War II. Dr. Bunnell served as a government consultant to the Secretary of War "to guide, integrate and develop the special field of hand surgery."
Dr. Bunnell practiced in San Francisco and at Stanford Hospital (now the Pacific Campus of California Pacific Medical Center). His practice incorporated aspects of orthopedics, plastic surgery and general surgery into the care of the hand. Dr. Bunnell is known as the Father of Hand Surgery.
Finley-Norris Neurology Archives A collection of archival & historical materials of Dr. Forbes Norris and Dr. Knox Finley, neurologists who were active in clinical, research and educational work at California Pacific.
Frank L.A. Gerbode Gallery Located on the third floor of the Library, the Gallery(dedicated on September 8, 1987) honors Dr. Gerbode's pioneering work as a cardiovascular surgeon and medical researcher. On display are his scientific papers, published works, surgical tools and some of the medical devices he helped to develop. The Gallery cases contain a selection of Dr. Gerbode's personal memorabilia including artifacts from his service as a field surgeon in Africa and Europe with the 59th Evacuation Hospital during World War II.
Frank Gerbode, MD, (1907-1984) was a second-generation Californian, born in Placerville in 1907. In 1954 Dr. Gerbode and Dr. John Osborn performed the first open heart surgery west of the Mississippi using a heart-lung machine that they had designed. When Stanford Medical School moved to Palo Alto in 1959, Dr. Gerbode and a number of the clinical faculty chose to remain in San Francisco. Dr. Gerbode was a crucial early champion of Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center the newly established hospital that replaced Stanford. Dr. Gerbode was chairman of the Department of Cardiovascular Surgery until 1979 and he served on the board of trustees for Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center until he became an emeritus trustee in 1984.
Arthur E. Guedel Memorial Anesthesia Center A historic collection of books, journals, artifacts, equipment and archival materials in the area of anesthesiology dedicated to Arthur E. Guedel, a prominent anesthesiologist who practiced in the 1940s and 1950s.