Psychiatry Residency Program
Rotations and Call
Resident Year I:
- Medicine or Pediatrics: 3 months + 1 month elective (usually Family Practice, Ambulatory Medicine or Pediatrics). 6 months adult inpatient. The Medicine and Pediatric rotations are residency teaching services that are committed to resident education.
- Neurology: 2 months; 1 month at Highland Hospital and 1 month at CPMC. One month (Highland) is a combination of consult and outpatient work with a broad spectrum of pathology. The month at CPMC is on the Inpatient stroke service.
- Call: No overnight call
Resident Year II:
- Adult Inpatient Psychiatry: 6 months
- Consultation Psychiatry: 3 months
- Sub-Specialty Psychiatry: 3 months
- Child - California Pacific Child Development Center, Children's Hospital Oakland, Neuro-Psychiatry Psychosomatic Service at CPMC Davies Campus (including addictions and geropsychiatry
- Outpatient Psychiatry: year long (5-10% time)
- Call: 4x/month
Resident Year III:
- Adult Outpatient Psychiatry: California Pacific (12 months)
Includes in-depth training in evaluation, differential treatment formulation, psychopharmacology (including faculty lead medication clinic), psychotherapy (dynamic, CBT, individual, brief couples/family, group) and Child/Adolescent psychiatry (psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy).
- Call: 2x/month
Resident Year IV:
- Chief Resident: 6 months (2 residents/year)
- Outpatient Psychiatry: All residents, 25% time
- Multiple elective opportunities throughout the year: Community Psychiatry (both adult and child) Addictions, Geriatric psychiatry, Forensics, Women’s Health, Liaison (Oncology, OB/GYN)
- Research: Individually arranged - depends on specific interests and level of commitment
- Ambulatory Medicine/Family Practice: Institute for Health and Healing
- Other special focus areas are also available in the Bay Area.
- Call: 1x/month (Thursdays) plus back up for PGY2 and PGY3 residents