Cardiology Fellowship Program
In the 1800's the Lane Medical School, which later became Stanford University Medical School, stood on the site of the current Professional Building at California Pacific Medical Center. When Stanford departed San Francisco for Palo Alto in the late 1950s, the hospital, then known as Presbyterian Medical Center, remained a center of excellence and innovation in the treatment of cardiovascular disease. With Arthur Selzer as Chief of Cardiology, and Frank Gerbode as Chief of Cardiovascular Surgery, the medical center became a major locus for the treatment of cardiovascular disease in Northern California. Dr. Selzer established a Cardiology Fellowship that, from its inception emphasized the training of well-rounded, clinically-oriented, consulting cardiologists. The fellowship has consisted of 6-8 fellows throughout most of its history.
With the mergers of Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center and Children's Hospital and Medical Center to form California Pacific Medical Center, and with the addition of Ralph K. Davies Medical Center in 1998, and St Luke's Hospital in 2007, California Pacific has become the largest private medical center in Northern California, and remains committed to tertiary care and subspecialty training.