Learning About Your Health
Pharmacy Department: Drug-Food and Drug-Nutrient Interactions
Important Food and Nutrition Information When You are Taking Warfarin (Coumadin, Panwarfarin)
This medicine has been given to you to prevent blood clots.
- Do not suddenly eat more foods that are high in vitamin K. These foods include:
- Beef liver
- Green tea
- Pork liver
- Chicken liver
- Soybean oil
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Turnip greens
- Do not take any supplements (vitamin pills) that contain vitamin E or vitamin K while you are taking this medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking this medicine.
- Do not drink herbal teas containing coumarin while you are taking this medicine.
Go to the same pharmacy for all your medicines whenever possible. Be sure to tell the pharmacist if you have any allergies or intolerances to foods or drugs and if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Always ask your pharmacist:
- Should I take this medicine, before, after, or with meals?
- Are there any foods I should avoid while taking this medicine?
- Are there any prescription or over-the-counter medicines or vitamin or mineral supplements I should avoid while taking this medicine?
- Is it OK to drink alcohol while taking this medicine?
- Does this medicine have any common side effects?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?