Learning About Your Health
Understanding a Food Label for Diabetes ManagementPrinter-friendly PDF of Food LabelOpens new window (67KB)
(Download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat ReaderOpens new window)
The two most important pieces of information for the carbohydrate controlled diet are:
- The serving size.
- The grams of total carbohydrate.
First: Check Serving Size
- A: The serving size for this food is 1 cup.
- B: There are 2 servings or 2 cups in this container.
- C: The Total Carbohydrate tells how many grams of carbohydrate are in 1 serving. 15 grams of carbohydrate is equal to 1 carbohydrate serving.
- D: Fiber is also included in the total carbohydrate amount.
- E: Sugar is already included in the total carbohydrate amount. This value shows the total amount of both natural and added sugars.
Produced by the Center for Patient and Community Education in association with the staff and physicians at California Pacific Medical Center. Last updated: 6/03
Funded by: A generous donation from the Mr. and Mrs. Arthur A. Ciocca Foundation.
Note: This information is not meant to replace any information or personal medical advice which you get directly from your doctor(s). If you have any questions about this information, such as the risks or benefits of the treatment listed, please ask your doctor(s).