Preparing For SurgeryYour activity level will be restricted for the first 4‐6 weeks.
This will include no heavy lifting (more than 5 pounds), driving, or strenuous housework. After flap reconstruction, you will also be advised to avoid using the arm on the side(s) of surgery for pushing, pulling and lifting for up to a month. It may be helpful to arrange for assistance during this time.
Some recommendations include:
- If you live alone, arranging rides for follow up care and necessary household errands
- Taking care of house cleaning, bills and other domestic responsibilities in advance of surgery
- Preparing and freezing meals ahead of time
- Having a recliner or comfortable chair to help with comfort and mobility
- Having pillows to put beneath your knees while sleeping after surgery
- Preparing a ride to and from the hospital
Feel free to visit the CPMC Davies Campus any time prior to your surgery and ask one of the Nurses or the Admissions staff for a tour!
Contact your Surgeon’s office if you are not feeling well, or have a cough, cold or fever the week prior to your surgery date.
Do not shave under your arms or bikini area for at least two days prior to surgery. This will avoid creating small nicks in the skin that can increase the risk of surgical site infection.
What to bring with you to the hospital
- Small bag with personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste and brush/comb, mirror)
- this handout
- Glasses/contact lenses
- Books or magazines for reading
- Clothing for discharge (comfortable front closure top, pants or skirt with elastic/loose waistband, slip on shoes)
- Other items to personalize your hospital room and make your stay as inviting and comfortable as possible:
- favorite music
- pillow cases; etc.
What NOT to bring
- Credit cards
- This handout