A Long History of Compassionate Care
When we initially opened our doors in 1852 as a free clinic on Mission Street, Abraham Lincoln was still practicing law in Illinois, Moby-Dick had just been published, and Levi Strauss was making plans to move west and sell dry goods to prospectors of the California Gold Rush.
In fact, the City of San Francisco had been incorporated just two years before we saw our first patient. So through its many transitions, CPMC has always been here to care for the people of our community from its very beginning and that commitment has remained steady for 160 years.
With four campuses and numerous satellites throughout the city and across the Bay Area, we are one of the largest private, not-for-profit teaching medical centers in the state. Here patients will find a wide variety of leading-edge services in outpatient and inpatient care, preventive and complementary care, and public health programs that reach out to our most underserved communities. It’s all supported by an outstanding tradition of research and medical education and is thoughtfully designed to create the most patient-friendly environment possible.
It’s a philosophy perhaps best described as “treat the patient, not just the disease.” It’s an appealing approach to care that draws top-level talent from academic medical centers across the country. Because at CPMC, we believe that healing the whole person is the best way to provide care.