Pediatric Microsurgery - Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for Children
Carlos Green's Story
Miracles happen every day in Pediatric Microsurgery. Carlos Green learned first hand how Microsurgery Changes Lifes.
Pediatric Microsurgery Program Overview
Plastic Reconstructive Surgery
Our pediatric microsurgery team also staff the renowned Adult Microsurgery team located at our Davies Campus. The Microsurgery Services began as the Buncke Clinic which opened its doors in 1970 when Harry Buncke, M.D. performed the first human toe-to-hand transplant. Dr. Buncke's legacy lives on through his son, Gregory Buncke, M.D. who is the Chair of the Department of Plastic Surgery at California Pacific Medical Center. The Pediatric Microsurgery Program team members trained with the Dr. Buncke and each member also treat adults with microsurgical needs.
CPMC’s Microsurgery Program specializes in reconstructive, replantation and transplantation microsurgery for fingers, hands, extremities, and facial parts such as scalps, ears, noses, lips, and tongues, as well as tissue transplantation to rebuild tissue lost to cancers or injuries. They perform transplants and replants on patients as young as one year old.
The pediatric microsurgery team has experience with thousands of replants and microvascular transplants, including more than 350 toe-to-hand transplants and more than 300 multiple microvascular transplants.
Learn more about CPMC's Microsurgery history
We specialize in:
- Emergency replantation
- Tissue transplantation
- Nerve repairs and nerve grafting
- Limb salvage
- Hand and upper extremity reconstruction
- Thumb and finger replacements with toe(s)Opens new window
- Functional muscle transplants to the extremitiesOpens new window
- Facial paralysis re-animation with cross-facial nerve grafts and functional muscle transplantsOpens new window
- Peripheral nerve and brachial plexus acute repair and nerve grafting
- Correction of severe functional and cosmetic defects produced by injury, surgery, cancer or congenital anomalies
Pediatrics at California Pacific Medical Center
California Pacific Medical Center, a San Francisco hospital that is part of the Sutter Health network, offers pediatric care to babies, young children, and adolescents to age 18 through our network of primary and specialty care pediatricians. Our doctors provide care at clinics throughout the Bay Area and at our hospital inpatient units.