Child Life Internship Program
The Child Life Program offers a 14 week (40 hr/wk) Child Life internship which will provide students with an opportunity to develop and strengthen their professional skills.
Selection of interns is based on previous experience working with children in healthcare settings, relevant coursework to meet the requirements for certification, references, statement of interest and an interview. The internship is appropriate for senior undergraduate students or graduate students with majors in Child Life, Child Development, or a closely related field.
For non-Child Life students a copy of the "course work review," issued by the Child Life Council, is required for verification readiness.
All prospective Child Life interns must complete at least 50 volunteer hours at a hospital other then CPMC, under the direct supervision of a Child Life department.
The 560 hour Child Life Internship program at CPMC Women & Children’s Center is designed to complement academic studies. The purpose is to provide a clinical program for students to develop their professional skills while working in the health care environment.
California Pacific Medical Center’s Women & Children’s Center includes a 24-bed pediatric unit, eight bed Pediatric Step-Down Unit, eight bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), six bed pediatric emergency department (ED), 36-bed Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and Pediatric Outpatient Specialty Care Center. Pediatric patients come from all over Northern California for care in the areas of cardiology, pulmonology, oncology, neurology, and orthopedics. As a valued member of the Child Life team you will have access to a rich comprehensive educational and professional experience. During this time you will gain clinical practice and skills that will aid you in your practice of more informed and thoughtful psychosocial care of children and their families in the healthcare environment. During your internship you will have the opportunity to engage in working relationships with Child Life specialists in a variety of patient populations and programming spaces; we hope during this time that you will expand your experiential body of knowledge, and in this context, find an outlet for the expression of your professional interests and goals.
- During the first week, interns will be given an orientation to the hospital and Child Life Services on various units.
- During the internship, students will attend seminars given by Child Life specialists, as well as other members of the interdisciplinary team. Interns will also have the opportunity to participate in interdisciplinary rounds, care conferences, case presentations, and a variety of other learning opportunities.
- Students will have the opportunity to complete medical play and procedural preparation protocols, provide playroom programming, work with volunteers, develop charting skills, participate in special events and hospital committees, and sharpen interview skills.
- Students will gain information and experience through a wide variety of assignments and projects. Interns will be required to complete weekly readings and journal entries, weekly supervisor meetings, case studies, two interdisciplinary team interviews, and a final project.
Requirements for Internship Packet and Application
- Completed CALIFORNIA PACIFIC MEDICAL CENTER Child Life Internship Application [pdf file] please print and complete our application form
(Download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader Opens new window)
- Cover letter
- Latest academic transcript – student copy is acceptable
- Copy of “course work review” from Child Life Council (Non-Child Life Students only)
- Two current letters of recommendation (one must be professional)
- 300 -500 word essay describing your personal philosophy of Child Life
- Documentation of 50 Volunteer Hours supervised by a Child Life Specialist - Signed
Please return the completed internship packet to:
California Pacific Medical Center
Attn: Child Life Department - Astrid Reichenbach
3700 California Street 5NW-Pediatrics
San Francisco, California 94118
Questions, call 415-600-0713