Could you be at risk for stroke? Individuals should talk to their primary care provider to find out if they are at risk for stroke and learn how to control stroke risks through medication, and diet and lifestyle modification. Learning more about stroke can save your life.
Could You be at Risk for Stroke?
Some risk factors such as age, sex, and family history can not be altered, but there are many risk factors associated with stroke that can be lowered or treated through lifestyle modifications or medication.
Also, did you know that atrial fibrillation (Afib) is a big risk factor and linked to stroke? Learn more about atrial fibrillation and treatment options available at CPMC.
Controllable Risk Factors:
- High blood pressure —the most important controllable risk factor for stroke.
- Cigarette smoking — nicotine and carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke damages the cardio and cerebrovascular system.
- Heart diseases — atrial fibrillation, coronary heart disease, and heart failure effect cardiac function and circulation increasing stroke risk.
- High blood cholesterol — increases stroke risk due to narrowing of arteries.
- Diet high in fat and salt —can raise blood cholesterol and pressure levels.
- Inactivity— increases risk of high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, heart disease and stroke.
- Weight— being overweight or obese increases blood pressure levels.
Learn to "Think F.A.S.T" to recognize stroke symptoms
Learning the signs and symptoms of stroke can save valuable time and precious brain function. Using the easy mnemonic device FAST to remember stroke symptoms can help expedite medical and surgery stroke intervention. If stroke symptoms come on abruptly or are one-sided, call 911 immediately for emergency treatment.
Patient Information Sheet and Handouts
This education information was developed for you by the Center for Patient and Community Education.
- Stroke: Your Care in the Hospital
- Stroke: Your Care at Home
- Stroke: Your Care in the Hospital (Chinese)
- Stroke: Your Care at Home (Chinese)
- Stroke: Your Care in the Hospital (Russian)
- Stroke: Your Care at Home (Russian)
- Stroke: Your Care in the Hospital (Spanish)
- Stroke: Your Care at Home (Spanish)
- Stroke: Your Care at Home/Hospital (Tagalog)
California Pacific Stroke/Aneurysm | Stroke Program Services
California Pacific Medical Center
California Pacific Neuroscience Institute.
The California Pacific Neuroscience Institute in San Francisco features some of the top-rated neurology physicians and neurosurgeons in the San Francisco Bay Area, Marin county and Northern California. Providing personalized patient care using the most successful spine, brain, stroke and epilepsy surgical options available is what we do best.
San Francisco | Marin | San Mateo | San Francisco Bay Area
Live Life to the Fullest!
- Learn more about the thinking FAST if you might be experiencing stroke.
- Read "Window of Opportunity" about stroke survival.
- Read "Getting Wise about Stroke" Opens new window on My Life Stages.