Kidney Transplant Indications
The goal of the Kidney Transplant Program at California Pacific Medical Center is to provide kidney transplantation to individuals who will obtain maximum benefit from the procedure. We are happy to evaluate any individual interested in transplant and assess his/her candidacy.
Specific indications for kidney transplant include but are not limited to:
- On dialysis or within months of needing dialysis with calculated GFR of 20 or less.
- Psychosocially suitable (determined through social services consultation with an MSW or LCSW within one year of listing)
- Ability to understand risks and benefits of the procedure, and show cooperation and compliance with the medical regimen.
- Access to adequate psychosocial support, i.e. transportation, emotional support, in-home care where needed.
- Demonstration of ability to pay for transplant event, follow-up care, and post-transplant medication regimen through either private insurer, MediCal, Medicare, or cash payment.
Relative contraindications for kidney transplant include but are not limited to:
- Moderate heart disease and/or vascular disease which includes documentation of poor cardiac function evidenced by an ejection fraction < 50% and/or coronary lesions that have not been successfully revascularized and/or cerebrovascular disease or ischemic ulcers
- Severe obesity (BMI of greater then 35)
- History of noncompliance to medical therapy
- Active infections
- HIV Positive
- Active substance abuse
- Active psychiatric disorder which remains untreated or is untreatable
- Current incarceration or individual on parole
- Recent history of malignancy
- Lack of insurance coverage for transplant and/or post-transplant immunosuppression.
About California Pacific Medical Center
California Pacific Medical Center, part of the Sutter Health Opens new windownetwork, offers kidney, pancreas, liver and heart transplantation as part of our Barry S. Levin, MD Department of Transplant.
Kidney & Pancreas Transplant Program
California Pacific Medical Center
2340 Clay Street
San Francisco, CA 94115
Outreach locations available throughout Northern California and in Reno.