Main content

    Marking Milestones in the History of Healthcare

    Historical Timeline of California Pacific Medical Center

    1852
    Leaders of San Francisco's German immigrant community open a free clinic for the indigent in rented rooms on Mission Street between Second and Third Streets.
    Physicians volunteer their time.

    1854
    The German General Benevolent Society is founded to help San Francisco's German-speaking immigrants find work, shelter, food, clothing, and health care.

    1856
    The Society buys the site for constructing a hospital for $4,500.

    1857
    A festive parade marches to the corner of Third and Brannan Streets to witness the laying of the cornerstone for the construction of the first German Hospital on Brannan Street.

    1858
    On January 7, 1858, the first German Hospital, a 30-bed two-story hospital on Brannan Street was opened.

    Dr. Elias Cooper organizes the West's first medical school with a charter from the University of the Pacific. Upstairs from Dr Cooper's office on Mission Street at Third, six physicians teach 13 students. In six years, 28 men complete the 18-week course.

    1862
    Dr. Cooper dies. His nephew, Levi Cooper Lane, attempts to take over as leader; but the school flounders, possibly due to Lane's youth. He and his colleagues join the faculty of the rival Toland Medical School, but never truly belong. In 1870, they storm out of Toland to reopen their own school at Sacramento and Webster, again under the University of the Pacific. Two years later they sever ties with the university.

    1871
    In July, the Episcopal Diocese of California opens its first hospital in California, St. Luke's Hospital, in a rented house with outbuildings on Lundy's Lane in Bernal Heights. There are 17 beds. Although officially church-owned, the new hospital attracts supporters from several faiths, and all patients are welcome.

    1873
    St. Luke's moves to 27th and Valencia Streets, to land purchased for that purpose by four San Francisco philanthropists.

    Sixty San Francisco women organize the Mite Society of St. Luke's Hospital. Although some of the women are Episcopalians, many are not. The treasurer, for example, happens to be Lutheran. In three years, membership nearly triples.

    1875
    Pacific Dispensary for Women and Children founded as an outpatient clinic in a small basement room beneath Dr. Martha Bucknell's office at 520 Taylor Street. The dispensary moves to 228 Post Street, then to Franklin and Oak, then to Mission and 22nd, and, in 1881, to an 18-room house at 221-223 13th Street.

    St. Luke's Hospital moves into a 100-bed facility on Valencia near Army Street (Cesar Chavez Street today).

    1876
    A factory fire spreads to German Hospital. Thousands of volunteers rush to the scene to carry all the patients to safety. The building collapses "with a thunderous crash."

    1878
    German Hospital reopens in a new frame building with more than 200 beds at Castro and Duboce Streets. Total cost of construction: $88,241.

    The St. Luke's Mite Society incorporates.

    1880
    Founders of the Pacific Dispensary create the first nursing school west of the Rockies. Jessie Astredo enrolls as the first student; the following year, 2 more students joins.

    Unable to meet expenses, St. Luke's Hospital closes. The buildings are rented out to the Episcopal Old Ladies' Home and the Homeopathic Hospital Association.

    1882
    Dr. Lane and his colleagues launch Cooper Medical College at Sacramento and Webster with Dr Lane's own money.

    1883-1887
    Pacific Dispensary opens outpatient facilities at the Methodist Episcopal Mission for Chinese Girls at 916 Washington Street, the Boys & Girls Aid Society at Grove & Baker Streets, and at 1016 Mission Street.

    1885
    A group of Episcopal women led by Mrs. William Alvord and Mrs. J.G. Clark reopen St. Luke's under the governance of a Board of Lady Managers.

    1887
    The Pacific Dispensary takes a new name: Children's Hospital- A Hospital for Children and a Training School for Nurses, and moves into a new building at California and Maple Streets. The two-story hospital has 25 private rooms, open wards, a cow barn, chicken yard and laundry. Total cost, with furniture and equipment: $26,000.

    1888
    German Hospital adds a 20-room annex especially for vwomen.

    1889
    St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing opens. Eight of the first alumnae go off to serve in the Spanish American War.

    1890
    Contagious Cottage opens at Children's Hospital.

    1891
    St. Luke's begins its internship and residency training program for physicians.

    1892
    Alexander Maternity Cottage opens at Children's Hospital with 24 white wicker cribs. A dispensary opens at 1109 Mission Street.

    1894
    An all-male board of trustees takes over governance of St. Luke's from the women who had revived it.

    1895
    Citizens of San Francisco raise the funds to build the Little Jim Building for pediatrics at Children's Hospital.

    Lane Hospital opens as a charitable care center at the future Pacific Campus. Lane Training School for nurses also opens.

    1896
    William Randolph Hearst leads the campaign for the Eye and Ear Pavilion at Children's Hospital.

    1897
    The first eight women graduate from the Stanford School of Nursing on the Pacific Campus.

    1898
    St. Luke's establishes an endowment fund to support its charitable mission.

    1899
    A dozen women enroll in the first class of the German Hospital School of Nursing, later renamed the Franklin Hospital Training School.

    1900
    At St. Luke's, the Gibbs Surgical Pavilion opens as a tribute to longtime supporter C.V.S. Gibbs.

    1901
    Children's Hospital Nurses Home opens at Sacramento and Maple Streets.

    1902
    The Brotherton Memorial Chapel is dedicated in the Gibbs Pavilion at St. Luke's.

    1906
    The Great Earthquake leaves the Gibbs Pavilion at St. Luke's in rubble. The next day the rest of the campus is temporarily placed at the disposal of the National Red Cross Society.

    The quake also forces the demolition of the 1887 Children's Hospital building and delays construction of a new, brick structure for German Hospital.

    1908
    Cooper Medical College becomes Stanford University School of Medicine.

    The new German Hospital opens at Castro and Duboce.

    1910
    St. Luke's expands to cover the entire block bounded by Valencia, Army (now Cesar Chavez), San Jose and Duncan Streets. Older buildings are moved to the back of the property to make way for a new four-story hospital, chapel, classrooms and nurses' home.

    1911
    Children's Hospital opens a four story brick-faced building at California and Cherry.

    1912
    Contagious Disease Pavilion opens at Children's Hospital.

    Lane Medical Library (today the Health Sciences Library) opens at the southeast corner of Webster and Sacramento Streets.

    1913
    Garden Sullivan Hospital opens at 2750 Geary Boulevard.

    Physicians form the St. Luke's Hospital Clinical Club "for the purpose of discussing cases of interest."

    1915
    Children's Hospital affiliates with the University of California for the teaching of medical students.

    1916
    German Hospital accepts its first medical interns for training.

    1917
    Stanford Hospital opens at 2351 Clay Street for private pay patients who select their own physicians.

    As World War I draws to a close, German Hospital changes its name to Franklin Hospital in honor of Benjamin Franklin's pioneering work in medicine.

    1920
    St. Luke's formalizes its drop-in emergency room into an outpatient clinic that delivers free or low-cost medical care.The Health Center is housed in the former Bancroft Library, which adjoins the hospital.

    1921
    A six-floor dormitory for Stanford School of nursing opens at 2340 Clay Street.

    1922
    According to the St. Luke's annual report, " …the installation of the high power X-ray treatment machine made Saint Luke's a pioneer institution in the West in the modern treatment of cancer."

    1926
    Visiting Nurses Association of San Francisco (VNA) begins providing home health services throughout the City.

    1928
    Children's Hospital opens a new west wing to house the best maternity unit in the City.

    The first iron lung west of the Mississippi arrives at the same campus.

    1931
    Granddaughters of early Children's Hospital board members create the Little Jim Club to support pediatrics.

    1936
    St. Luke's opens a Cancer Clinic under the supervision of Dr. Otto Pflueger.

    1939
    Mrs. Lucie Stern finances construction of the Stern Research Building across Clay Street from Stanford Hospital.

    St. Luke's School of Nursing affiliates with City College for instruction in the basic sciences.

    1946
    Hill-Burton Act provides federal money to build hospitals across the United States, with stipulations for some free care to indigent patients. At least 9,200 buildings are built, including, in the 1960s, new hospitals at the Pacific and Davies Campuses.

    1951
    Surgeons at Franklin Hospital perform the world's first extra-anatomical bypass grafts.

    Dr. Frank Gerbode performs the first successful open heart surgery on the west coast at the Pacific Campus.

    1952
    Child Development Center opens at Children's Hospital.

    St. Luke's Hospital Auxiliary is founded. Members hold the first of their signature fund-raising event, the Musée de Noel.

    1953
    St. Luke's Training School becomes St. Luke's School of Nursing.

    1954
    A new east wing on Sacramento Street replaces the Little Jim and Eye/Ear buildings with 58 pediatric beds and a new maternity suite.

    1955
    The Franklin Hospital Volunteer Auxiliary is formed.

    In April the first adult male patients enter the California Campus.

    1956
    The Franklin Hospital Foundation is created to relieve the German General Benevolent Society of responsibility for the hospital.

    1957
    The School of Nursing closes at Children's Hospital, not long before the same fate befalls the nursing schools at Franklin and Stanford Hospitals.

    A new north wing opens at St. Luke's for surgery, radiology and a 36-bed pediatric ward. Contributions cover most of the million-dollar cost.

    1959
    Stanford University moves its medical school to Palo Alto. Most physicians remain in San Francisco, keeping clinics and wards open with volunteer support. Physician researchers establish the Institutes of Medical Sciences (which becomes the Medical Research Institute in 1982) to perpetuate their studies. Included in the group are the Smith Kettlewell Institute of Vision Sciences (SKIVS) and the Heart Research Institute.

    St. Luke's Hospital School of Medical Technology receives full accreditation.

    1960
    The Presbyterian Church accepts the Pacific Campus as a gift from Stanford University.

    The Interns' Residence falls to the wrecking ball to make room for the new hospital at Presbyterian Medical Center.

    Lions Eye Foundation of California-Nevada, Inc. begins providing support for patients with serious eye disorders who could not otherwise afford care at Presbyterian Medical Center.

    Psychiatric Institute opens a 30-bed facility for assessment and treatment at Presbyterian Medical Center.

    1961
    The Davies Campus becomes the first hospital in Northern California to install a dialysis unit.

    1962
    Alumnae of St. Luke's Nursing School raise the money and create the design themselves for a stained glass window in the chapel. In October they dedicate the window in memory of all the hospital's past nurses.

    1963
    Smith Kettlewell Institute incorporates first as the San Francisco Eye Research Foundation, then, in 1969, as the Smith Kettlewell Eye Research Foundation.

    1964
    Women's Board oversees the first San Francisco Debutante Ball as a benefit for Presbyterian Medical Center.

    1965
    St. Luke's Neighborhood Clinic moves into an old shoe factory on Valencia Street, then into the basement of the hospital's nursing school before finally settling into the Monteagle Medical Building.

    1966
    Children's Hospital replaces maternity cottage with a new wing.

    1967
    Presbyterian Medical Center becomes Pacific Medical Center.

    Children's Hospital completes a seven-story outpatient research building at Sacramento and Maple Streets.

    1968
    The new Franklin Hospital opens.

    Coronary care unit opens at St. Luke's.

    1969
    Children's Hospital completes the north wing bed tower.

    The Medical Office Building opens at Franklin Hospital.

    The Microsurgical Laboratory opens at Franklin Hospital.

    1970
    The Extended Care Wing opens at Franklin Hospital.

    In August, Lutheran pastor Herbert Schroeder and his sister Edna present St. Luke's with a new chapel as a memorial to their sister Pauline K. Schroeder, who had been a patient.

    In November, a large procession files down San Jose Avenue to the corner of Army Street, where dignitaries dedicate the new 12-story tower of St. Luke's Hospital.

    1971
    Philanthropist and long-time Franklin Hospital Trustee Ralph K. Davies dies. The hospital is renamed Ralph K. Davies Medical Center in his honor. The Rehabilitation Building opens.

    1972
    The Davies campus is the site of the first toe-to-hand transplant in the U.S.

    1973
    Medical Office Building opens at 3838 California Street.

    St. Luke's Junior Auxiliary begins its mission of support for the Health Care Center.

    1974
    The Davies Campus was the first health institution in the West to use the EMI scanner (computerized tomography - CT scanner)

    Cooper Medical Building and Lane Hospital were demolished.

    1975
    Learning and Development Program opens at Pacific Medical Center.

    The student residence closes at St. Luke's School of Nursing. Student nurses live "off campus" for the first time. The school enrolls its first male students since 1920.

    1976
    The eight-story Monteagle Medical Center opens on the St. Luke's campus to accommodate the Clinic, physician offices, ancillary services and the first designated outpatient surgery center in San Francisco. The Clinic becomes a separate corporation, still affiliated with the hospital but henceforth responsible for its own funding.

    The first designated outpatient surgery center in San Francisco opens at St. Luke's.

    1978
    Garden Hospital Jerd Sullivan Rehabilitation Center joins the Pacific Medical Center.

    1980
    Northern California Transplant Bank opens at Pacific Medical Center and becomes one of the nations most comprehensive centers for bone and tissue transplantation.

    The Kuzell Institute for Arthritis and Infectious Diseases founded.

    A new two-story education building opens at St. Luke's, named in honor of Ethel L. Hartzell, a 1921 nursing school graduate who supported and often led the hospital for more than five decades.

    1981
    Planetree Health Resource Center opens at Pacific Medical Center, followed, in 1985, by a 13-bed model hospital unit.

    The largest clinical research program in the country for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease) begins at the Pacific Campus.

    Pacific Medical Foundation is created to develop resources for the medical center and its related organizations.

    Philosopher Jacob Needleman consults at Pacific Medical Center on a lecture series entitled The Art of Medicine, setting the stage for the eventual development of the Institute for Health and Healing.

    Volunteer leader Robert M. Adams, Jr., spearheads the drive to create St. Luke's Hospital Foundation to help address long-term financial needs.

    1982
    The Women's Auxiliary of St. Luke's Hospital becomes the St. Luke's Hospital Auxiliary.

    1983
    Pacific Medical Center becomes Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC).

    VNA merges with Hospice of San Francisco.

    St. Luke's School of Nursing affiliates with Dominican College (now Dominican University of California) for a baccalaureate program named Dominican-St. Luke's School of Nursing.

    1984
    Children's Hospital Foundation of San Francisco is created to help support the hospital's financial future.

    New West Wing completed at Children's Hospital.

    At PPMC, Jane Falconer undergoes the nations first heart transplant outside of a university research setting.

    1985
    Children's Hospital forms a parent corporation, Northern California Health Center.

    1986
    PPMC joins Mills-Peninsula Hospitals and Marin General Hospital in forming California Healthcare System (CHS).

    VNA and Hospice join PPMC as Visiting Nurses and Hospice of San Francisco (VN&H).

    Pacific Presbyterian physicians sponsor construction of a five-story medical office building on the site once occupied by Cooper Medical College at Sacramento and Webster. The Pacific Presbyterian Professional Building was dedicated on October 3rd at 2100 Webster St.

    Pacific Campus physician, J. Donald Hill performed first bridge to transplantation using a ventricular assist device.

    1987
    Coming Home Hospice opens at 115 Diamond Street. U.S. Attorney General C. Everett Koop calls it "a national model'' for terminal care.

    1988
    Marshal Hale Memorial Hospital, formerly Hahnemann Homeopathic Hospital, merges with Children's Hospital.

    1989
    The San Francisco Institute for Plastic Surgery opens at Davies.

    The Institute for HIV Research and Treatment opens at Davies.

    A San Francisco Chronicle editorial announces that "St. Luke's has been selected by the Healthcare Forum Journal as one of the country's 19 pioneering hospitals now restructuring their operations to achieve greater quality and patient care while lowering costs….It appears there is an unrecognized gem in the Mission."

    1990
    U.S. Surgeon General Antonia C. Novello helps inaugurate the Gazebo at Davies for HIV/AIDS patients and their families.

    1991
    Children's Hospital and Pacific Presbyterian Medical Center merge to create California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC). By the next year, the medical staffs have fully merged as well.

    St. Luke's launches its WorkWright occupational health and rehabilitation center.

    In response to a city-wide shortage of critical care beds, St. Luke's opens an ICU with 35 intensive- and semi-intensive-care beds.

    1992
    CHS achieves full regional identity by adding Alta Bates Corporation of the East Bay to its membership.

    1993
    The Medical Research Institute of San Francisco merges with CPMC to create the California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute (CPMCRI).

    Physicians associated with CPMC form the California Pacific Medical Group (CPMG), one of the largest independent groups of physicians practicing together in California.

    California Pacific Medical Services Organization is created as a formal economic partnership between CPMG and CPMC. Physicians and the medical center begin planning and managing services together.

    Volunteers at the California and Pacific Campuses merge to create the Guild of California Pacific Medical Center.

    1994
    CPMC completes a major reconfiguration, emphasizing outpatient care at the California Campus and inpatient care at the Pacific Campus.

    The City's first dedicated geriatric psychiatry unit opens at Davies.

    1995
    St. Luke's Neighborhood Clinic becomes St. Luke's Health Care Center, an umbrella for clinics, a women's center, and other community outreach services.

    1996
    The Women's Health Resource Center opens at the California Campus.

    The Institute for Health & Healing (IHH) and the Mitsubishi Cancer Resource Center open their doors at 2020 Webster Street on the Pacific Campus.

    CHS and Sutter Health of Sacramento form a new company called Sutter/CHS, later renamed Sutter Health. The affiliation creates the second largest integrated health-care system of hospitals and physicians in Northern California.

    Physicians at CPMC and UCSF form Brown and Toland Medical Group.

    CPMC specialists come together as California Pacific Specialty Services.

    1997
    The 25-bed Irene Swindells Alzheimer's Residential Care Center opens on the California East Campus.

    At the Pacific Campus, the IHH opens the first clinic in the nation to integrate homeopathy, acupuncture, and other complementary modalities into a major medical center. The IHH also opens the first gift shop in a leading American hospital to provide quality assurance for vitamins and other complementary health products.

    Davies is the site of the first successful re-attachment of a human tongue.

    CPMCRI launches its research program in complementary medicine.

    California Pacific's Asthma Education and Intervention Program opens in cooperation with the S.F. School District.

    California Pacific sells its interest in the Medical Service Organization to Brown and Toland Medical Group.

    Based on a national consumer survey of 89 major metropolitan areas, the National Research Corporation selects CPMC for its Quality Leader Award for San Francisco.

    1998
    Ralph K. Davies Medical Center merges with California Pacific, becoming the Davies Campus.

    Sullivan Geriatric Rehabilitation Center opens.

    California Pacific surgeons perform the first Bay Area laparoscopic nephrectomy.

    The Integrative Center for Culture and Healing opens at 1640 Valencia St in collaboration with St. Luke's.

    1999
    Rehabilitation services consolidate and expand into the California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center.

    The Health Champions program begins promoting healthy lifestyles in San Francisco schools.

    The Minimally Invasive Surgery Program opens.

    Pacific Business Group on Health, which negotiates benefit rates for some of California's largest companies, singles out CPMC as one of seven hospitals known for excellence among 521 in California.

    San Francisco Chronicle readers vote CPMC the Best Hospital in the Bay Area.

    2000
    CPMC rings in the new millennium by delivering a record number of new babies - 5,307 in a single year.

    San Francisco Chronicle readers choose CPMC as the Bay Area's "best hospital" for the second year in a row.

    Health-care information company HCIA/Sachs recognizes CPMC as one of the 100 top-performing American hospitals for cardiovascular and orthopedic services.

    Palliative Care Program opens on the California East Campus, providing pain relief, privacy and comfort for patients near the end of life.

    The FDA approves CPMC's new heart preservation solution, which allows the organ to survive outside the body for up to 24 hours before being transplanted.

    2001
    Natural Health magazine names CPMC the "healthiest hospital in America" and recognizes the Institute for Health and Healing for its complementary care services, community education programs and gift shop.

    Interventional Endoscopy Service opens, featuring the "camera-in-a-capsule."

    CPMC and Marin General Hospital launch a joint cardiac program.

    St. Luke's joins the Sutter Health network.

    2002
    The Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) names CPMC one of only four hospitals in Northern California with better-than-expected outcomes for heart attack survival.

    Irene Swindells Center for Adult Day Services opens in collaboration with the Institute on Aging.

    CPMC team performs its 1,000th liver transplant.

    The Comprehensive Pelvic Medicine and Continence Center opens.

    The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) names CPMC one of the nation's top 50 hospitals.

    2003
    CPMC purchases the Cathedral Hill Hotel and begins planning for a new acute care tower on that centrally located property.

    CPMC opens a first-of-its-kind Sibling Center to provide emotional, physical and psychosocial support to the brothers and sisters of seriously ill children.

    "Touch-Free" robotic operations are introduced and quickly become routine at CPMC, allowing repairs on even the tiniest infant's heart.

    The Transplant Department performs its first "donor swap," in which two unrelated patients with no suitable donors in their own families each receive a compatible kidney from a member of the other patient's family.

    The CPMC Research Institute launches the Centers of Research in Clinical Excellence (CRCLE), which benefits patients by coupling state-of-the-art clinical care with advanced information gathering.

    CPMC becomes one of the first hospitals in the country to offer pregnant women integrated screening for Down Syndrome.

    2004
    The Kanbar Cardiac Center opens on the Pacific Campus.

    Electronic Intensive Care Unit (eICU) opens on the Davies Campus.

    Palliative Care Services begin at the Davies Campus.

    Evidence mounts of significant health disparities among San Franciscans. CPMC accepts a leadership role in the San Francisco Council's African American Health Disparity Initiative and begins offering free mammograms and breast cancer services to African American women.

    CPMC conducts a neighborhood-by-neighborhood community health needs assessment in partnership with the San Francisco Department of Public Health.

    Twenty-one community organizations and public programs that address shared community health priorities receive $500,000 from CPMC's new Community Health Grants Program.

    A serious nursing shortage inspires the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation to contribute $4.2 Million to the CPMC Foundation to support nursing education.

    CPMC is accepted into the non-profit National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions, the collective voice for health systems devoted to the well-being of American children and families.

    CPMC's Heart Failure and Transplantation Program celebrates its 20th year of fixing "broken" hearts, with more than 350 hearts transplanted. The Program is named one of just 18 centers nationwide that are approved to use the only FDA-approved mechanical heart as a permanent replacement to a damaged heart, rather than just as a temporary "bridge" while the patient awaits a suitable human match for transplant.

    2005
    Seismic retrofitting begins at the Davies Campus on facilities used for emergency care, acute care and rehabilitation.

    CPMC employees, physicians and volunteers pitch in to help tsunami, hurricane and earthquake victims around the world, donating time, money, medical supplies and linens.

    CPMC and St. Luke's announce an affiliation agreement as the first step toward a merger.

    VN&H joins the Sutter Health family as Sutter VNA & Hospice.

    CPMC commits another $2,000,000 to the Community Clinic Partnership Fund.

    2006
    California Pacific opens the Center for Advanced Surgical Options in Gynecology on the California Campus.

    California Pacific is named one of the top 50 hospitals in the U.S. by the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that measures hospital quality and safety.

    California is name a top 2006 VHA West Coast award recipient of the Performance Excellence Award for Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) performance measures.

    CPMC launches the Beyond Medicine campaign.

    CPMC commits another $2,000,000 to the Community Clinic Partnership Fund bringing total contribution to $6,000,000.

    2007
    St. Luke's Hospital merges with California Pacific Medical Center, becoming the St. Luke's Campus.

    Pediatrics and Women & Children's services moved from the Pacific Campus to the California Campus consolidating Women & Children's services.

    Archibald/Ehrenberg Rehabilitation Terrain Park, a component of the California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center opens on the Davies Campus.

    The Addiction and Pharmacology Research Laboratory (APRL) opens on the St. Luke’s Campus

    2008
    Pediatric Emergency opens November 4th on the California Campus.

    CPMC opens the SimSurg Education Center.

    CPMC forms partnership with Dartmouth Medical School to bring their students to San Francisco for third and fourth year clerkships.

    2009
    Interventional Radiology Suite and Neurovascular and Neurointerventional Surgery Suite open on the Davies Campus.

    Dr Warren Browner MD MPH succeeds Dr Martin Brotman as CEO of CPMC.

    CPMC becomes part of Sutter Health West Bay Region.

    Acute Rehabilitation Center opens at Davies Campus North Tower exclusively for brain injury and stroke rehabilitation, spine injuries and general rehabilitation.

    Physician Foundation at California Pacific Medical Center and Sutter Medical Foundation North Bay start operating under single name: Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation.

    Cathedral Hill Hotel stops operation.

    Melanoma Program opens.

    2010
    Pediatric Microsurgery Service opens at the California Campus.

    Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation creates a new relationship with Brown & Toland Physicians

    Bryan Hemming Cancer Care Center opens.