History of the St. Luke's Campus
High quality community health services
St. Luke’s began its mission of caring in 1871 as an Episcopalian charitable hospital after being established by Thomas W. Brotherton, M.D., D.D., a physician and Episcopalian Priest, when he became concerned about the shortage of health care south of Market Street in the City. From the first day it opened its doors, St. Luke’s has cared for all of San Francisco, regardless of a patient’s ability to pay.
St. Luke’s is committed to continuing and revitalizing the delivery of quality health care to the South-of-Market community in an affordable, accessible and culturally-sensitive manner. Recent efforts focus on preventive clinics like Health Access to maintain wellness and manage chronic disease.