History of the Davies Campus
State of the art rehabilitation and neurosciences
The origins of the Davies Campus reach back to 1854,when the German General Benevolent Society was formed to provide health care, food and shelter for the city’s German immigrants, who had flooded the City during the days of the Gold Rush. Joseph N. Rausch, M.D., the founder, also proposed one of the country’s first pre-paid health plans: for a dollar a month, German-speaking immigrants qualified for a private hospital bed if they ever needed it at a dollar a day. By 1895, the Society opened its membership to all who applied, whatever language they spoke, and by century’s end, was treating all citizens of San Francisco.
Over the years, physical rehabilitation medicine and specialized reconstructive plastic surgeries became a focus of the Davies Campus, as well as neurosciences.